Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&B vs Meopta

S&B vs Meopta

Okay, this is my situation. I can get a good condition S&B Klassik 2,5-10x56 for the same price as a Meopta r1 3-10x50.
    First - what would you pick of those two?

And second. If I pick the S&B, ill later upgrade it to a S&B Zenith 2,5-10x56. If I pick the Meopta ill later upgrade that to the new R2 2-12x50. Both illuminated.
    what would you pick of those two?

I have some positive facts about each brand

S&B:
    - Probably better glass than Meopta. If not the best glass in the world of hunting.
    - Built like a tank
    - They dont make binos

Meopta:
    - Should be OK glass
    - The new r2 will have x6 zoom. (2-12x50).
    - They also make binos

. So.. which ''Optics Path'' shall I choose? The S&B way or the Meopta way?

You dont mention ret type, subtension or focal plane... More important than all other info given

SD Regular
    ^ +1 - What's the relevance of whether they bino's or not? And why are you committed to a brand once you purchase one scope?
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I'd go for Schmidt personally , and as the others say I don't really see the relevance with the Binos ?? In my opinion illuminated recticules are way overrated I personally wouldn't bother with one however that's your preference

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    It will also depend upon what type of stalking/shooting you are mostly expecting to do. Woodland, open hill, target??

Personally I'd go for the S&B because:
    1. it has a 56mm objective, so a marginal gain in light gathering power
    2. like it or not, the resale value of a "name" will always be better
    3. if you don't like the S&B scope you can always whack the deer over the head with it, jack up the car with it or use it to repair your high seat.

If upgrading I would stick with the same magnification/objective size unless there is a seriously good reason to change.

I am stumped as to why the ability to make binos makes a difference? Or are you thinking that binos and scope from the same manufacturer will - if used at the same magnification - give you a similar field of view/sight picture? If so, I wouldn't make that a major consideration. I'm blowed if I've ever compared sight pictures across scope and binos. By the time you've dropped your binos and raised your scope you're brain has lost the sight picture anyway.

So far as illuminated reticles, they are apparently a Marmite thing. Having managed perfectly well without one for the first 15 years I'd now not be without one, but then I do a lot of woodland stalking for muntjac where I find it useful on those dark, dank, winter mornings.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I'd probably go for the Schmidt, that not to say the Meopta is decent scope quite the opposite.
    Have never known Schmidt to make Bino's perhaps they never needed the Business....! (I've often pondered on that)
    All the best whichever route you choose.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    You dont mention ret type, subtension or focal plane... More important than all other info given
    Surely more important is the type of stalking for which the scope is being considered?

For most woodland stalking (and even open hill up to, say, 250m) I'd suggest subtension and focal plane are of minimal (read "no") importance on deer sized quarry.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

No doubt I would go for the Schmidt, having had a Meopta in the past it was good...but not that good!

not really sure about the difference between the zenith and klassik is. I had thought about either a klassic or zenith, illuminated and aftermarket turrets for my 7mm deer rifle. i cant stop thinking if spending 3 to 4 times the cost of my 8 x 56 schmidt is worth it or not. I have a PM11 on my other rifle and use it mainly on 8 power for foxing and dont dial when foxing as furthest shots are realy 250 yards so no need. although does come in handy for rabits and crow at 450 plus or magpies at over 200 as they are pretty small at 8 power.i have thought that a 8x56 illuminited with turrets would be great. but probably not nessisary for 99% of the time for deer.

Atb Matt

oh almost forgot Schmidt for me a mate has meopta and i find the reticle to fine under the lamp

ATb MAtt