Thread: Batches of heads

Batches of heads

Hello. I've bought a few boxes of heads. None are the same batch number. Is this likely to makea difference to my groups and load? I'm paranoid about finding the perfect load then having to do it again for another box of heads, thanks

It can make a difference, but generally not much of one, if any at all.
    Only one way to find out, but I wouldn't let it keep you awake at night!

I hope you mean a few boxes of bullets and none are the same LOT number.

Generally it won't matter if they are good bullets to begin with.~Muir

Blog Entries
    Are you shooting Deer at 100 Metres or punching paper at 1000 yards?

If you are shooting Deer I dare to say you won't receive many complaints about the lot number.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

It depends is the short answer. Twice I have been seating bullets, opened up a new box and found the bullet seats to a completely different place. One bullet was Hornady 129 gr SP (25 thou change), the other was Hornady 140 gr A-Max. Both loads had to be reworked. I would just keep a close eye on your measurements as you finish one box and start the next box. Hopefully there will be no issues. Regards JCS

This may come as a surprise to many but each bullet in a box probably did not all come out of the same die. The machines have several dies in them and each die many be just vary slightly to the next.

​Just think how long it would take to make 10,000 bullets in ONE die!

chuck them all in a bucket, stir liberally and then put them back in the boxes.

​Problem solved

Blog Entries
    If you get serious about shooting competitively you will spend many an hour weighing cases and bullets to get everything as consistent as is humanly possible.

When you shoot Roe deer at 100m or less with a 4" margin of error this isn't necessary. You will have more consistency rolling your own than a factory round anyway. You are more likely to screw up a shot worrying about it than the difference between most batches.

I haven't yet found that amount of difference in batches of the same range of bullets from the same manufacturer as jcampbellsmith. I think that would be pretty extreme but never say never.
    Yes I should have taken the Blue Pill!

We were so busy congratulating ourself of dodging Orwells vision we marched right into Huxley's.

Tomm,

I wouldn't worry too much about different batch numbers for your heads.

First rule is try and buy them with the same batch/lot number. I shouldn't worry about it that much for deer, however if your an extreme range shooter then there may be some room to worry. I would think environmental factore when shooting would be more pertinent.

Also are you sure you have the ability to shoot so well that you could tell the difference. Must rifles can outshoot their users.

D