Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed to learn how to gralloch

Help needed to learn how to gralloch

I am going for a big ask here.

I got my DSC1 almost 2 years ago. In that time I have managed to shoot 2 deer, both munties. Don't have huge ground and have been unlucky with my paid stalks. 3 of them got a lovely walk in the countryside and only 1 of them managed to get close to pulling the trigger but I just couldn't get a clear shot. Aw well, great stalk though and my ground whilst compact and bejou does pop out the occasional muntie. Of course I regurlarly see them wandering the fields at night when I am out pest controlling and they completely ignore me shooting bunnies 20 feet from their noses. 2 there 2 weeks ago after midnight. Will the little sods ever show up in the day?, Um well actually one did last Sunday, 350 yards away, down wind as he disappeared over the boundry not to be seen again.

Anyhow, whilst I have read the books and seen the video and all that, I have only assisted with 2 grallochs. Therefore I really don't feel comfortable or competent in that part of the inspection. Bout the only thing I can't talk about with authority. (armchair warriors unite)
    If there is anybody near me, Newbury or Basingstoke ish who wouldn't mind me tagging along with them and willing to teach me to gralloch properly I would be most grateful. Happy to help lug stuff about, donate to your favourite charity, buy you a beer or a cup of tea afterwards. Missus makes a mean rabbit pie. It would be venison but I'm running out. lol

Whilst the shooting is great I must stress I want to learn how to gralloch cleanly and properly and inspect for abnormalities. So when Mr Muntie gets to show his face again within range when I am on my own I will be happy about doing the proper procedure.

Cheers
    TSS
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

book yourrself on a park cull there ideal for that sort of thing

Quote Originally Posted by 223 View Post
    book yourrself on a park cull there ideal for that sort of thing
    Definately or book a couse with BASC. They have one which will suit you.

Sounds like you shoot a few rabbits and know how to clean a rabbit, treat your munties like a big rabbits, its common sense you know whats not meant to be left in there, as for inspection if there is something wrong, which isn't very often, been stalking for more than 20 years and can and count on one hand the times i have had something unusual in the gralloch, again common sense if it looks wrong then it usually is, how many rabbits have you gutted and found something wrong with?

​Moose

SS

Get to know someone at a local deer park (there are a couple near to you) & talk to them regarding assisting with their cull.
    Another route is to get in with a local game dealer (again there is a big one near you) & offer to help their collectors who go round deer parks culling & collecting. You'd give them muscle power & the'd give you experience.

​Ian

Book a day with Glyn at Holkham. Absolutely perfect for what you need and well worth the drive.

Mindful there are any number of approaches to evisceration you may as well learn that considered to fully comprise Best Practice, so ensure whoever agrees to you tagging along is prepared to be both patient and provide accurate guidance in same.

You’d be amazed at the shortcuts taken when the thought of an early full Greasy Spoon breakfast enters the head!

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Yorric View Post
    SS

Get to know someone at a local deer park (there are a couple near to you) & talk to them regarding assisting with their cull.
    Another route is to get in with a local game dealer (again there is a big one near you) & offer to help their collectors who go round deer parks culling & collecting. You'd give them muscle power & the'd give you experience.

​Ian
    Quote Originally Posted by blowin View Post
    Book a day with Glyn at Holkham. Absolutely perfect for what you need and well worth the drive.
    2 very good ideas there mate I've been in contact with Glyn and have got to know a good friend of his and that's going to be the next place I go stalking I reckon. For another 35 you get to learn the butchering side in his larder, which although seems straight forward, I've found it's easy to waste some of the meat on the couple I've done recently!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

very informative on grallocking but you should not place your knife on the soil and keep using it on other parts of the carcass this is cross contamination of the rest of the carcass . other people may think this is acceptable when its not sorry if you think im having a dig at you but that's my opinion