Thread: Defender headlight adjustment.

Defender headlight adjustment.

I have renewed the constantly rusting Wipac headlamp retaining rings and was looking for a way to align the beams to pass MOT test. Last time the warranty done the job... Also looking for a pair of Lightforce 170 driving lamps as my Hellas are a bit crap.

1) Find a nice dark wall somewhere with about 30ft of LEVEL ground in front of it.
    2) Drive up close to the wall at as near to 90 degrees as possible.
    3) Mark the centreline of the Defender on the wall.
    4) Measure the vertical height of the headlight centres and mark a line on the wall at this height. Measure the distance apart of the headlight centres and (equidistant of centreline you marked on the wall) mark two crosses on the horizontal line to indicate the physical headlight centres.
    5) Turn on the main beams and adjust so that the 'hot spots' are on the two crosses.
    6) Roll back about 30ft (keeping at 90 degrees to the wall) and if necessary, adjust the main beams onto the crosses.
    7) Switch to dipped beams. The lights should move down and to the left. The top edge of the dipped beam should be a couple of inches below the horizontal line on the wall and the 'kick up's should start at the crosses. Adjust as necessary.

This should be good enough to get through the MOT.

HTH
    Knots

Timely post as I need to change mine as no idea how they made it through the last MOT.

I had it in mind to park vehicle facing a clean wall and put a chalk mark around the centre ("hot spot") of each beam then simply ensure the new units correspond.

Is it as simple as that or am I missing something?

Cheers

K

VERY timley post as I have swapped out the retaining rings on my truck but DIDN'T check anything about adjusting the lights...just lucky I havent driven it in the dark yet!

Quote Originally Posted by murrayb View Post
    VERY timley post as I have swapped out the retaining rings on my truck but DIDN'T check anything about adjusting the lights...just lucky I havent driven it in the dark yet!
    Those being the fresh off the Land-Rover production line rust-coloured ones no doubt!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knottaclu View Post
    1) Find a nice dark wall somewhere with about 30ft of LEVEL ground in front of it.
    2) Drive up close to the wall at as near to 90 degrees as possible.
    3) Mark the centreline of the Defender on the wall.
    4) Measure the vertical height of the headlight centres and mark a line on the wall at this height. Measure the distance apart of the headlight centres and (equidistant of centreline you marked on the wall) mark two crosses on the horizontal line to indicate the physical headlight centres.
    5) Turn on the main beams and adjust so that the 'hot spots' are on the two crosses.
    6) Roll back about 30ft (keeping at 90 degrees to the wall) and if necessary, adjust the main beams onto the crosses.
    7) Switch to dipped beams. The lights should move down and to the left. The top edge of the dipped beam should be a couple of inches below the horizontal line on the wall and the 'kick up's should start at the crosses. Adjust as necessary.

This should be good enough to get through the MOT.

HTH
    Knots
    Ah-ha, the old Dambusters method.....

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Why not just drive to the local garage and ask to use the headlamp adjuster machine ?
    Not sure if it is still the case, but the MOT cost included the adjustment of headlamps, been a long time since I did mot's.

Neil.