Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rifle ???

New Rifle ???

New .243 coming soon, but what to get.

I have looked at Blaser, Mauser,Sako & few other popular makes.
    The latest one that I have been looking at is a Cooper arms from the USA.
    It is a model M54 Classic Custom.

Just wondering if they are any one on here that has had any experience with this make of rifle.

Thanks

​John

Not necessarily the most important consideration but Blaser, Mauser & Sako are all likely to have a better resale value. I have looked at the Mausers and owned Sako. My last purchase was a Blaser having said I'd never buy one! Mausers are well engineered but a little heavy for my taste. I have also owned Sauer and reckon that they're the elegant stalking rifle.

I went for the Blaser because a) I wanted a switch barrel which would genuinely maintain zero (this does mean one scope per barrel) b) I like the shorter overall length (3-3.5" less than the others) c) The Pro Success stock made everything else feel slightly awkward.

​Coopers have had good reviews though.
    Richard

Deer Diary

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Buy the Blaser - that way you can antagonise 50% of Site members

Buy the Blaser in 6.5x55 or .243 - that way you can antagonise the other 50%

Seriously, any of the makes you have looked at will be fine - it really is a question of which one you find most comfortable. I think it's pretty tricky to buy a bad new rifle these days.

The Cooper Arms looks very nice but my only concern with a niche manufacturer like that - particularly one that is not UK/European based - would be availability of parts and servicing, as well as possible resale value in the future. Of course none of these things have any bearing on how it shoots, but I'd still think about them nonetheless.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Cooper is a fine rifle, used a 20tac single shot that would do sub 1" at 400y from the box. Buy the blaser.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Buy the Blaser - that way you can antagonise 50% of Site members Buy the Blaser in 6.5x55 or .243 - that way you can antagonise the other 50% Seriously, any of the makes you have looked at will be fine - it really is a question of which one you find most comfortable. I think it's pretty tricky to buy a bad new rifle these days.The Cooper Arms looks very nice but my only concern with a niche manufacturer like that - particularly one that is not UK/European based - would be availability of parts and servicing, as well as possible resale value in the future. Of course none of these things have any bearing on how it shoots, but I'd still think about them nonetheless.willie_gunn
    In a nutshell.Blaser are the bomb superb safety system.Regards,Glendine.

I wish someone here would buy a Steyr Mannlicher SM12 so they could tell us about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    I wish someone here would buy a Steyr Mannlicher SM12 so they could tell us about it.

I looked at one quite closely a few months ago. I liked the safety. Wood to metal fit was woeful. The Matt black finish on the barrel and action may weather proof, but it looks like ****. A disgrace to the Mannlicher name.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Have just looked up the SM12. It might be me missing the point but is the hand cocking system not just a bolt action?? Or is it that the safety cocks the action a la Blaser?

Blaser is a nice rifle but just looking for sometimes different.
    Had the synthetic stolks on a couple of rifles, but now like a nice bit of wood on my rifle.
    My current rifles are a Tikke 695 in 30-06, this has a cracking delux stolk, a 595 in .222, this has a new stainless barrel fitted & just had a thumb hole stolk made & beaded for it, lovely rifle for roe deer.
    My latest acquisition is a Remington 700 SPS that has been rebarreld in .20 VarTarg still has the synthetic stolk at the moment but there is a Boyd Laminate TH waiting to be fitted, just need to get the barrel channel opened up before fitting.

Just looking for somthing a bit different.
    ​John