Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 Remington load development

17 Remington load development

​As mentioned in another thread ive had a semi custom 17 Rem made by Neil M. I managed to get out for a few hours yesterday in the heavy winds!!!!. Tested the loads on the Chrony first(with safety glasses on!!!!). Results as follows:

Remmy brass trimmed to 1.790", CCI BR4 primers, 25g Vmax bullets, OAL 2.249" (10 thou off lands),

21g N133: 3787ft/sec, 3794 ft/sec, 3780 ft/sec. Average: 3787 ft/sec
    21.5g N133: 3941ft/sec, 3953ft/sec, 3959 ft/sec. Average: 3951 ft/sec
    21.7g N133( stated as max load), 3958 ft/sec, 3987 ft/sec, 3974 ft/sec.Average: 3973 ft/sec
    22g N133 3994 ft/sec, 3989 ft/sec, 3968 ft/sec. Average: 3983 ft/sec
    22.2g N133: 4032 ft/sec, 4016 ft/sec, 4026 ft/sc. Average: 4024 ft/sec
    22.5g N133: 4041 ft/sec, 4046 ft/sec, 4061 ft/sec. Average: 4049 ft/sec
    22.8g N133: 4122 ft/sec, 4104 ft/sec, 4112 ft/sec. Average: 4113 ft/sec
    23g N133: 4142 ft/sec, 4222 ft/sec, 4187 ft/sec. Average: 4184 ft/sec.......HOT HOT HOT

I realise I've pushed the limits here so please don't try this unless you have taken precautions like I did. I never had any pressure signs what so ever, I've even taken out all of the primers and checked inside for stress, again no issues. I'll check hem again IF the weather gets warmer but recon ill stop at 23g . The HOT HOT HOT loads grouped really well(5 shots inside 1cm with 3 of them in one elongated hole) considering the wind was blowing the hell out of me but I ran out of them to check at 200 yards. I did however have more of the 21.5 grain loads so shot them at 200 and got sub 1 inch which I was happy with considering the wind. I'll test it properly on a better day and recon it will be very tight at 200 yards.

If the grouping stays as good at circa 22.2grains as the "Hot Hot Hot" load no fox is gonna tell the difference but you may when ambient temperatures rise.

Stay safe and back-off.

Cheers

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    If the grouping stays as good at circa 22.2grains as the "Hot Hot Hot" load no fox is gonna tell the difference but you may when ambient temperatures rise.

Stay safe and back-off.

Cheers

K
    Yeah it's a fair point, had already looked at the ballistics for max and lower loads and little of no difference in real terms. I'll make some more of both the max and a lower load for group comparisons.

Always wanted to 'play' with a 17 but never got around to it.
    Looks like it will serve you well. With sub 1" groups at 200 from a 25g bullet in gusting wind it cannot fail to!

Keep us posted.

Cheers

K

I had a great evening with my 17 rem accounted for 6 magpies 4 grey/hooded crows,IMHO a very good outing ranges where sub 200yds with the longest shot being close to that mark. I have been shooting this rifle I think close on 10 years now and it rocks,it has at least 2500 rnds down that tube and still it produces the goods.The rifle is a remington 700 lvsf, my favourite load is a 25 gr hornady hp or vmax pushed along with 22.5 grns of RL15 and it shoots sub 1" if I do my bit now before I get carried away I also missed 2 grey crows which I really ought to have got, but was well happy none the less with the tally for the evening..... love the 17 rem.

I haven't had chance to use it on live quarry yet this am would have been a perfect day for it but can't get out today

I also have recently had a 222 rebarelled to 17 Rem. I use it on fox mostly over bait in winter. I use Viht N150 and the Hornady 25 HP. I shot 13 foxes this winter with good effect and little pelt damage. I am not running at full blast (to save barrel a little) but am at around 3900fps and it shoots 3 shot groups under 10 mm. I am very happy with mine. Good luck with yours!

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    I had a great evening with my 17 rem accounted for 6 magpies 4 grey/hooded crows,IMHO a very good outing ranges where sub 200yds with the longest shot being close to that mark. I have been shooting this rifle I think close on 10 years now and it rocks,it has at least 2500 rnds down that tube and still it produces the goods.The rifle is a remington 700 lvsf, my favourite load is a 25 gr hornady hp or vmax pushed along with 22.5 grns of RL15 and it shoots sub 1" if I do my bit now before I get carried away I also missed 2 grey crows which I really ought to have got, but was well happy none the less with the tally for the evening..... love the 17 rem.
    Apologies for slightly high-jacking this thread but I too have a rem 700 LVSF in .17Rem which although bought s/h recently is in very good condition and appears little used. I think this is a great little rifle, but have had a few problems accuracy wise..... I originally loaded some 25grn V-Max over 21grns Vit N133 and got dismal groups of around an inch at 50yds. I also tried some factory HP and BT Remington ammunition that came with the rifle but these too were awful. I have just tried the same load with 25grn Berger Varmint Match HP's and got 4 shots touching for just under 5/16" at 50yds so am much happier now!

Given that the twist on this rifle is 1:9, it should in theory handle the 25grn V-Maxes, but obviously doesnt like them, so I was wondering what results you'd achieved with them in yours please? I will try playing around with COAL when I get myself a decent gauge as I've been loading them to standard COAL of 2.150" and I've noticed that the ogive with the bergers is MUCH further forward than the V-Max, so maybe theres too big a jump to the lands for good accuracy with the V-Maxes? Or maybe I should try pushing them a little faster? But until I do - I think I'll stick with the Bergers!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodder View Post
    Apologies for slightly high-jacking this thread but I too have a rem 700 LVSF in .17Rem which although bought s/h recently is in very good condition and appears little used. I think this is a great little rifle, but have had a few problems accuracy wise..... I originally loaded some 25grn V-Max over 21grns Vit N133 and got dismal groups of around an inch at 50yds. I also tried some factory HP and BT Remington ammunition that came with the rifle but these too were awful. I have just tried the same load with 25grn Berger Varmint Match HP's and got 4 shots touching for just under 5/16" at 50yds so am much happier now!

Given that the twist on this rifle is 1:9, it should in theory handle the 25grn V-Maxes, but obviously doesnt like them, so I was wondering what results you'd achieved with them in yours please? I will try playing around with COAL when I get myself a decent gauge as I've been loading them to standard COAL of 2.150" and I've noticed that the ogive with the bergers is MUCH further forward than the V-Max, so maybe theres too big a jump to the lands for good accuracy with the V-Maxes? Or maybe I should try pushing them a little faster? But until I do - I think I'll stick with the Bergers!

Ive had great results in all the loads so far. Haven't had a perfectly windless day to give 200 yards a true test but in the wind I mandated a 1 inch group at 200 yards with the 23g load, at 100 this gave 3 in 1 elongated hole with 2 either side. I've made more loads also 25g and 30g Bergers to try. Fortunately I have the option of getting right up to the lands with safe seating depth.

I've messed with the 17 HMR and 17 Mach 2 a bit , but as of yet no 17 centerfires .

If CZ ever gets the 527's out I'll take a shot at loading for the 17 Hornet .

I just remmember reading alot of not so positive blurbs about the 17 REM when it first hit the market in the older 700's . But if memory is correct that was all caused by an incorrect twist rate or some such .