Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting new friends and roebucks in Somerset

Meeting new friends and roebucks in Somerset

Last week my dad and me went to Somerset to meet up with Pete and try to shoot some roebuck. Never been to this part of the UK and the drive towards Pete's house was wonderfull. What a nice countryside with those rolling hills, meadows, hedges and woodlands.
    On arriving we where greeted by Pete and made feel welcome. We where shown our accomodation and not soon later we went out for some roebuck. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. First evening I was in a promising high seat but because of the swirling wind i did not see anything. My dad and Pete saw plenty of roebucks but when they stalked close enough it was to dark. Second morning we met Richard en we tried again. More roe where seen but no luck. The pressure was on, but i assured our fellow stalkers we already had a good time and any buck would be a bonus and not a necessity. That evening my dad went with Richard again on a brand new high seat strategically placed overlooking some meadows. I went with Pete for a stalk towards a high seat he saw a medal buck before. On arrival we saw a doe standing out, but the wind was very cold and blowing into the wood. Not promising and after an hour sitting on the high seat we decided (with a partly frozen Pete) to stalk around to see if any roe would appear. Luckily we got a message from Richard that me dad got the first buck in the bag.
    While stalking we got (very) close to many does but strangly did not see any bucks. When darkness fell we met up with the others and i drank my first cider in 1.5 years to celebrate my dads buck.

Next morning we met up with James who went out with my dad and me and Pete stalked towards a promising high seat on James's permission. Here we saw immediately several roebucks, one of them medalclass. Wind was not in our favour and we took a detour not to disturb them. Spied the area but the roe where walking away from us. Climbed in the high seat and waited for things to come. Not many time later Pete spotted 2 bucks coming from the wood opposite of us. The first was a reasonable size and had a limb, second was a cull buck. After a while we decided to go for the buck with the limb. I took the VIP Blaser and the buck dropped on the spot. We waited for half an hour but no roe showed and Pete went to collect the buck and said watch out for other roe. I happily sat on the high seat looking out and yes, after 10 minutes 2 other small bucks came out. I texted Pete if one of these could be shot but unfortunately no reception. So i watched the bucks for a while, one of them standing only 40 meters in front. After some noise in the woodland they both took off. After a while Pete came back and said James would not have mind if i shot the other 2 as well. Pity we had no reception, but lucky for the bucks. Anyway for me one in the bag and it turned out my dad had a lovely stalk as well and shot his second cull buck.

That evening Pete and I tried for the medal buck again in the high seat we where the evening before. And yes, he was there, but only in the field behind us at 200 meters. Because of the distance and wind we decided to wait. Unfortunately the buck had a will of his own and crossed the field away from us and dissappeared. We stalked all way round but again did not find it anymore. We stalked some more and i tried out the sturdiness of some Somerset fencing and discovered that the wooden poles easily break if you stand on the wire to get over it. I am definately not an acrobat and ready for the circus. After the pole snapped of with a loud crack we still saw a cull buck not soon after. We got in at 15 meters but just as Pete would hand me the rifle it noticed us and took off. Partly frustrating for my host i would have thought but I had a lovely stalk and enjoyed the surroundings very much.

Last morning i went out with James and my dad went with Pete where i shot my buck. We spied around and saw plenty of roe. We stalked towards a group and crawled on our bellies for a good shooting position. The group went into cover so we waited for 15 minutes. Then they came out again and James pointed out a cull buck for me to shoot. With his bipotted sako this went down on the spot. We waited and chatted some more before we collected the buck. Saw quite a few more roe but while stalking could not get to them.
    My dad shot another buck from the high seat, gathering from his story the wind was blowing hard and the high seat was bouncing up and down so had to be carefull about the shot. But all went well and another nice buck.

My dad and me agreed that we had a warm welcome and a lovely time, partly due to Mrs Pete's cooking which was delicious. (thx again)
    We made some new friends and took some nice bucks. We saw some big heads (roe and munty) as well which where medalclass but the conditions and our luck were just not in our favour. All credits and many thanks for the effort shown to James, Richard and particular Pete.
    Hope to meet soon again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030140.JPG   IMG-20130413-00005.jpg   IMG-20130414-00007.jpg   IMG-20130414-00008.jpg   IMG-20130414-00010.jpg  

P1030128.JPG   P1030134.JPG   P1030136.JPG  
    Last edited by Holland&Holland; 19-04-2013 at 14:24.

You saw loads of animals and that can be construed as a success in itself! Very well done and I hope you enjoy another cider or two...Regards,Glendine.
    Last edited by Glendine; 19-04-2013 at 15:08. Reason: Didnt like the look of it!

Nice one lads glad you guy's met up for a swap hunt. Two likeminded guys having a fun hunt that's what its all about, Pete I guess you will be off to Germany now then??

Yes Germany next Wayne I will be getting as bad as you jetting off all over the world
    A pleasure to stalk with two like minded guys as you say
    ​regards pete

Well done Pete, I'm sure the boys had a great time with you. So you are going international now then. If you be flying Air Somerset just a suggestion pay the extra and get an inside seat.

Do you want to borrow a decent rifle to take Pete, after all you don't want to be embarrased by that old Blaser of yours.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Well done Pete, I'm sure the boys had a great time with you. So you are going international now then. If you be flying Air Somerset just a suggestion pay the extra and get an inside seat.

Do you want to borrow a decent rifle to take Pete, after all you don't want to be embarrased by that old Blaser of yours.
    hi mike
    thats the beauty of a Blaser you can hunt anywhere in the world and not look out of place

regards pete

Quote Originally Posted by Holland&Holland View Post
    Last week my dad and me went to Somerset to meet up with Pete and try to shoot some roebuck. Never been to this part of the UK and the drive towards Pete's house was wonderfull. What a nice countryside with those rolling hills, meadows, hedges and woodlands.
    On arriving we where greeted by Pete and made feel welcome. We where shown our accomodation and not soon later we went out for some roebuck. Unfortunately the weather did not cooperate. First evening I was in a promising high seat but because of the swirling wind i did not see anything. My dad and Pete saw plenty of roebucks but when they stalked close enough it was to dark. Second morning we met Richard en we tried again. More roe where seen but no luck. The pressure was on, but i assured our fellow stalkers we already had a good time and any buck would be a bonus and not a necessity. That evening my dad went with Richard again on a brand new high seat strategically placed overlooking some meadows. I went with Pete for a stalk towards a high seat he saw a medal buck before. On arrival we saw a doe standing out, but the wind was very cold and blowing into the wood. Not promising and after an hour sitting on the high seat we decided (with a partly frozen Pete) to stalk around to see if any roe would appear. Luckily we got a message from Richard that me dad got the first buck in the bag.
    While stalking we got (very) close to many does but strangly did not see any bucks. When darkness fell we met up with the others and i drank my first cider in 1.5 years to celebrate my dads buck.

Next morning we met up with James who went out with my dad and me and Pete stalked towards a promising high seat on James's permission. Here we saw immediately several roebucks, one of them medalclass. Wind was not in our favour and we took a detour not to disturb them. Spied the area but the roe where walking away from us. Climbed in the high seat and waited for things to come. Not many time later Pete spotted 2 bucks coming from the wood opposite of us. The first was a reasonable size and had a limb, second was a cull buck. After a while we decided to go for the buck with the limb. I took the VIP Blaser and the buck dropped on the spot. We waited for half an hour but no roe showed and Pete went to collect the buck and said watch out for other roe. I happily sat on the high seat looking out and yes, after 10 minutes 2 other small bucks came out. I texted Pete if one of these could be shot but unfortunately no reception. So i watched the bucks for a while, one of them standing only 40 meters in front. After some noise in the woodland they both took off. After a while Pete came back and said James would not have mind if i shot the other 2 as well. Pity we had no reception, but lucky for the bucks. Anyway for me one in the bag and it turned out my dad had a lovely stalk as well and shot his second cull buck.

That evening Pete and I tried for the medal buck again in the high seat we where the evening before. And yes, he was there, but only in the field behind us at 200 meters. Because of the distance and wind we decided to wait. Unfortunately the buck had a will of his own and crossed the field away from us and dissappeared. We stalked all way round but again did not find it anymore. We stalked some more and i tried out the sturdiness of some Somerset fencing and discovered that the wooden poles easily break if you stand on the wire to get over it. I am definately not an acrobat and ready for the circus. After the pole snapped of with a loud crack we still saw a cull buck not soon after. We got in at 15 meters but just as Pete would hand me the rifle it noticed us and took off. Partly frustrating for my host i would have thought but I had a lovely stalk and enjoyed the surroundings very much.

Last morning i went out with James and my dad went with Pete where i shot my buck. We spied around and saw plenty of roe. We stalked towards a group and crawled on our bellies for a good shooting position. The group went into cover so we waited for 15 minutes. Then they came out again and James pointed out a cull buck for me to shoot. With his bipotted sako this went down on the spot. We waited and chatted some more before we collected the buck. Saw quite a few more roe but while stalking could not get to them.
    My dad shot another buck from the high seat, gathering from his story the wind was blowing hard and the high seat was bouncing up and down so had to be carefull about the shot. But all went well and another nice buck.

My dad and me agreed that we had a warm welcome and a lovely time, partly due to Mrs Pete's cooking which was delicious. (thx again)
    We made some new friends and took some nice bucks. We saw some big heads (roe and munty) as well which where medalclass but the conditions and our luck were just not in our favour. All credits and many thanks for the effort shown to James, Richard and particular Pete.
    Hope to meet soon again.
    Ruud
    You and your dad were very welcome you were a pleasure to hunt with and two true sportsman
    I Was worried when that post snapped and i had to catch you but we lived to hunt another day

regards pete

Congratulations, sounds like a great time after some nice bucks!
    Cant wait to start on them here in Germany on the 1st of May.....
    Hey Pete: Waidmannsheil for your trip to Germany!

Atb

​Michael
    People's hobbies are more their measure's than are their jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildboar1973 View Post
    Congratulations, sounds like a great time after some nice bucks!
    Cant wait to start on them here in Germany on the 1st of May.....
    Hey Pete: Waidmannsheil for your trip to Germany!

Atb

​Michael
    thank you michael regards pete .

Well done Pete, enjoy your trip to Germany

Tony