Copper Bullets

Jimbo 30 06

Is anyone using copper bullets on a regular basis if so, how do you rate them and where stocks them.

Jimbo

just started using them in my 30 06 handloaded early days yet need to knock a few more deer over
but i like them gonna stick with them if things carry on like they are
regards pete

I have used Barnes TSX in 7mm and 308 as well as barnes XLC in 22/250. I have great confidence in them and have decided to go lead free for all my stalking as we tend to eat the venison ourselves. I have never needed more than one shot per deer and have experienced no ricochets. As many others have said before, you can use lighter bullets than usual with great effect as the mono metals penetrate deep and generally straight whilst wreaking havoc with the vitals. On targets they are as accurate as match bullets in my rifles so I don't really see a big down side to them. They are comparable in cost to other premium bullets but I easily recoup that cost in less bloodshot venison. I have just secured a shipment from reloading solutions direct but have had my local shop order in via Edgar bros in the past

I have used Barnes TSX in 7mm and 308 as well as barnes XLC in 22/250. I have great confidence in them and have decided to go lead free for all my stalking as we tend to eat the venison ourselves. I have never needed more than one shot per deer and have experienced no ricochets. As many others have said before, you can use lighter bullets than usual with great effect as the mono metals penetrate deep and generally straight whilst wreaking havoc with the vitals. On targets they are as accurate as match bullets in my rifles so I don't really see a big down side to them. They are comparable in cost to other premium bullets but I easily recoup that cost in less bloodshot venison. I have just secured a shipment from reloading solutions direct but have had my local shop order in via Edgar bros in the past

Thats it basically! Used the X and TSX for years, great bullets!

Have been using the 130 grain TTSX in .308, very accurate and effective. Presently working up a load with the 50 grain GMX in my .222 but have yet to use them in the field. I couldn't get the 90 grain Nosler E-Tip to group in my .243 (1:10 twist). Will probably give the 80 grain GMX or TTSX a go.
I will still use lead bullets for most of my deer shooting but thought it wise to be prepared in case the rules change. As for supplies, just order through your normal supplier.

I have changed to Barnes TTSX in my 7X57 recently. I also dropped the bullet weight to 120gns at about 3000fps. For accuracy, I found you had to do a really good barrel clean before the change over, then everything went well. I buy mine from Reloading Solutions.

i tryed the ttsx in my sako .308 but could hold a good group what load dater did you use powder etc and how did it work out to find the best , as wish to go copper but due to price i found the Development can be so costly with ttsx/tsx etc
any info .
atb
paul

I don't intend to use them until I am forced to. I can't see that they offer any advantage whatsoever except for elephants and the comparative BC values are virtually prehistoric compared to the developments seen in premium bonded core bullets.

I don't intend to use them until I am forced to. I can't see that they offer any advantage whatsoever except for elephants and the comparative BC values are virtually prehistoric compared to the developments seen in premium bonded core bullets.

How important do you believe ballistic coefficient to be anyway (at normal sporting ranges)? I think it is hard to compare different manufacturers BC values as there are many other variables to consider. The main advantages of these bullets are apparent in that they work reliably, don't damage excess meat and don't dose your kids veniburgers up with toxic heavy metals. Hmm Big Mac with or without toxic substances...... :D

I got GMX in 150gr for my 308, the obvious advantage is weight retention of the bullet so it keeps punching through and I fancy them on pigs and moose but they won't make my 308 a 375 h&h!

Used X, XLCs & TSXs for about 8 years now in my 25-06 and 300 WM and wouldnt use anything else now. Very accurate, great penetration (have only ever recovered one in over 600 deer) and cause minimal meat damage. I get them from the states.

The main advantages of these bullets are apparent in that they work reliably, don't damage excess meat and don't dose your kids veniburgers up with toxic heavy metals. Hmm Big Mac with or without toxic substances...... :D
But they don't work reliably in all calibres and across as wide a range of impact velocities as other options.
The contamination of venison is also unproven.

But they don't work reliably in all calibres and across as wide a range of impact velocities as other options. The contamination of venison is also unproven.

i think the contamination of the meat is definitely proven, if you like I can post some X-rays and a CT scan of a deer shot with a 150 grain bonded lead core bullet with lead fragments littered through the meat. The only debate able point is whether eating this lead causes harm. My point is that eating this lead at the least does no good, and cannot be regarded as a good thing. When avoiding the lead contamination is so easy why not just do it. I accept that the copper bullets have different performance envelopes in which they will expand optimally and this is the main issue that folk need to bear in mind. If you assume they will work the same as lead you will find that they do not. If you accept the differences and exploit them then my experience is that the performance will surpass that of lead bullets. I am however talking at normal
ranges, say sub 300yards.

What velocity parameters do you have please for optimization of the bullet to work effectively Regards Jimmy

in general push a lighter than normal bullet quickly to get best performance. This is why the FC in Scotland are using the 110grain TSX in 270 Winchester. Best choice for the 308 is probably the 130 grain and for the 6.5mm the 100 or 120 grain. The trick is to keep the velocity up!!

in general push a lighter than normal bullet quickly to get best performance. This is why the FC in Scotland are using the 110grain TSX in 270 Winchester. Best choice for the 308 is probably the 130 grain and for the 6.5mm the 100 or 120 grain. The trick is to keep the velocity up!!

well i disagree , i load 140gn barnes tsx under 55gn H4831sc in my 270 win and this gives me an average of 2850 fps .

very slow for the 270 but the bullet damage is nothing , and the accuracy is awesome !

when i had a 6.5 i used 120gn ttsx over i cant remember amount of N560 doing the same speed , again very accurate .

i wont be using lead again unless i can get no more barnes !

Any recomendations for bullet weight in 25-06?

Back