Thread: New Rifle: CZ 453 Varmint

New Rifle: CZ 453 Varmint

I finally picked up the the CZ Varmint 453 22LR I put on layaway last December. I had just enough time to shoot a few groups before getting rained and snowed out this afternoon. What a peach! It seems to shoot the cheapest ammo into very small groups. CCI Blazer 40 grain shot a ragged hole at 25M and 3/8" at 50M. Aguila 40 grain Sub Sonic was about the same. The last group I fired was with SK/Wolf Match at 25M and it was really starting to rain. My first 4 shot went into the same hole and my fifth was half a bullet width out.

Can't beat a CZ for accuracy.~Muir

I've been seriously thinking about getting a CZ 453 for some time. My ususal knock about rabbiting rifle is a Semi-auto Voere - I've had it over 40 years, it's very accurate and it's reliable if I de-gunk it now and again. I also have a .22LR bolt action that I use for "special" occasions where I need to take some long shots (long for a .22 that is) It's a Russian CM-2 single shot target rifle, match trigger, chopped and scoped and fitted with a moderator and bi-pod. I have it zeroed at 100yds and using solid match ammunition it groups around an inch on a still day and from a good position I'm happy to take rabbits at that range. However- that doesn't seem to be that much better than a good CZ with back-up shots available and maybe a couple of pounds lighter.

Have a go at 100yds Muir with top quality ammunition and post some 5 shot groups - convince me I need to buy a new rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066 View Post
    I've been seriously thinking about getting a CZ 453 for some time. My ususal knock about rabbiting rifle is a Semi-auto Voere - I've had it over 40 years, it's very accurate and it's reliable if I de-gunk it now and again. I also have a .22LR bolt action that I use for "special" occasions where I need to take some long shots (long for a .22 that is) It's a Russian CM-2 single shot target rifle, match trigger, chopped and scoped and fitted with a moderator and bi-pod. I have it zeroed at 100yds and using solid match ammunition it groups around an inch on a still day and from a good position I'm happy to take rabbits at that range. However- that doesn't seem to be that much better than a good CZ with back-up shots available and maybe a couple of pounds lighter.

Have a go at 100yds Muir with top quality ammunition and post some 5 shot groups - convince me I need to buy a new rifle.
    Everybody needs a new rifle now and again!
    Frankly speaking? I wouldn't try to convince you to buy a 453 CZ. This rifle was pretty inexpensive as it had been sitting on the shelf for 8 years with no takers so I pretty much got it at cost and I couldn't pass that up. What I don't like about the Varmint model is that the grip makes my stubby trigger finger rub up against the bolt knob to get proper positioning on the trigger. Additionally, the single set trigger mechanism places the trigger itself in the middle of the spacious trigger guard making it a stretch to even reach the trigger with a normal grip... which is also the only complaint I have about my old Brno#5 but since it has a slimmer grip, the reach is easier. And I'm not big on CZ single sets, anyhow.

That said, there is no questioning CZ's accuracy levels and you don't need a heavy barrel to get it. I have two 452 American's under my roof and about 8 Brno #1's and that Brno #5. All of them shoot VERY well but the 452 and Brno#1's have triggers placed conveniently rearward in the guard making them much more shooter friendly. I haven't shot paper at 100 in a while but I have this from my Brno
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brno1 100 yards red gods of shooting RED.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	27285

I believe this was ashot with high velocity ammo the last time I was punching paper at 100, teaching a co-worker about doping wind with a .22.

In short: Get the 452 and be happy.~Muir

Found this one, too. 100M SK/Wolf
    Last edited by Muir; 20-04-2013 at 15:26.

That's excellent Muir - Those are well dead rabbit groups, my target rifle wouldn't honestly better those at 100yds. What I really want is a .22LR that groups like a good centerfire at 100yds, less than .5 moa and .3 moa would be better.

I alway shoot sub-sonic in the .22, either solid match type ammo or hollow point, mainly because it's just so quiet with the moderator and also because I've never been thrilled with the accuracy of the HV stuff.

I think I'll go and have a look at the CZ's (Just a look of course )

Russian CN-2

Neat rifle!
    Well. Understand that these groups were shot with a .22 sighted in at 50M and just held over, in the wind for the most part. That kind of accuracy you'd like is hard to come by. Occasionally I shoot a half inch group across open ground but I have found that 3/4 inch is pretty good. I shoot HV stuff mostly as I have found it more accurate for off hand shooting from the 25" barreled Brno's. The CZ's will do the job when fed ammo they like.~Muir

Follow up:
    I went to the range clean up today in the blowing snow and cold and after the work was done a couple of us pulled out the .22's to take advantage of the quieting of the wind. The wind was down to 3-7 mph and staying steady over our left shoulders. I shot the 453 at 100M at our fresh plywood backers -aiming a knots in the wood- and shot a few 1" groups with most at 1.3" and strung with the wind. This was with CCI Blazer 40 grain at 1240 fps. After a time I moved to the 25 yards range to see if the 60 grain SubSonic Sniper rounds would work in the 453. They wouldn't. At 25M I got 3.5" groups with one striking sideways, one round straight in, and the other three showing elongated holes in the paper. My friends' new 452 Varmint did the same. My 1951 Brno #1, on the other hand, put five rounds of the same ammo inside a quarter-inch and shot 1/2 inch at 50M. Nice round holes. No yaw.

I guess newer isn't always better.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Follow up:
    I went to the range clean up today in the blowing snow and cold and after the work was done a couple of us pulled out the .22's to take advantage of the quieting of the wind. The wind was down to 3-7 mph and staying steady over our left shoulders. I shot the 453 at 100M at our fresh plywood backers -aiming a knots in the wood- and shot a few 1" groups with most at 1.3" and strung with the wind. This was with CCI Blazer 40 grain at 1240 fps. After a time I moved to the 25 yards range to see if the 60 grain SubSonic Sniper rounds would work in the 453. They wouldn't. At 25M I got 3.5" groups with one striking sideways, one round straight in, and the other three showing elongated holes in the paper. My friends' new 452 Varmint did the same. My 1951 Brno #1, on the other hand, put five rounds of the same ammo inside a quarter-inch and shot 1/2 inch at 50M. Nice round holes. No yaw.

I guess newer isn't always better.~Muir
    Interesting stuff.
    Is it as simple as different barrel twists?

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    Interesting stuff.
    Is it as simple as different barrel twists?
    I don't think so: both of these guns have 1-16" twists. I believe it is barrel length and rifling depth dependent. The speeds from a 24" barrel are only 950 fps. When you shorten that to 20 inches I think you lose just enough speed to cause an instability. My 16" barreled Savage printed bullets sideways when they managed to hit the target. My Brno is 25" in length and shoots them great out to 60 yards or so before yaw sets in. Marlin Micro Groove barrels give very poor to mediocre accuracy with this bullet. The only difference is the tiny striation-like rifling grooves. The twist remains 1-16". My budy shot some from his 24" Marlin today and they grouped an inch and a half at 50M with some pronounced yaw. That was the best performance I've seen from a Marlin. My Model 880SQ Heavy Barrel won't put them into a peach basket at that distance.~Muir