Thread: My First Muntjac

My First Muntjac

I think! but unfortunately it was not a stalk. Yesterday, Sunday, myself and the memsahib drove back home from deep in the heartland Kent. On the way back, we were on a latitude that put us in Oxfordshire, there on the roadside my good lady spotted what she describes as "a bit bigger than a fox, a funny looking thing". She will easily differentiate between Roe, Red, and Sika, having seen plenty of them.

So I was thinking it may have been a Muntjac, I only snatched a quick look, not good enough to tell. Of course the fact that it was lying dead after a car had hit it, did not help

John

sounds like one,we have mates who keep a pub in a village down there and when we go and stay with them i see muntys everywhere,when i asked around people said they were a pest and i was lucky not to have any where we live but when i asked about stalking they went very quiet.

John

Very likely to be a Munt, I lived and worked in Oxford last year and the place is full of them, and a huge amount of Fallow and Roe. There was a wood near my house that had the biggest Munt buck I have ever seen, even bigger than those in the Trophy room! I would reguarily walk round the fields with the glasses (no rifle though-worst luck) and see plenty.

There is as you say alot of road kills, and I very nearly hit one of the little buggers myself one early morning on the way into work.

James

l see road kills around here almost daily, l live in an extremely muntjac rich area and hardly a day goes by when l don't see a live one, in the village l live and the surrounding villages they are living quite literally in the gardens of many places, many are excepted some are classed as vermin, l have been asked to shoot a few in peoples gardens at which point l try to explain that if l shoot them they will only return and cause even more damage better to leave the mature animals and live with some damage also there is a big safety consideration to be considered, l was asked to shoot a muntjac in the old rectory in the next village l told them that they will return and that was 28 muntjac ago.

They are a very adaptable creature were they can get a foot hold and make inroads they will thrive and will except the presents of man and quite literally live side by side with him.

I live in Coventry as some of you know and I have seen muntjac walking around the rough council estates at five oclock in the morning as I was walking to work! Hard little buggers!

Which gives us potential stalkers , more promise of ground to stalk
    I personally think that if they multiply then they will get fed up with urban life and move out into our countryside ! or are they the new urban foxes!!! . I like the little chaps n chapesses . They may be our saviours , in the way of sport ! Regards Trapper(specially now they can be taken with .222 along with CWD!

Quote Originally Posted by monynut
    l see road kills around here almost daily, l live in an extremely muntjac rich area and hardly a day goes by when l don't see a live one, in the village l live and the surrounding villages they are living quite literally in the gardens of many places, many are excepted some are classed as vermin, l have been asked to shoot a few in peoples gardens at which point l try to explain that if l shoot them they will only return and cause even more damage better to leave the mature animals and live with some damage also there is a big safety consideration to be considered, l was asked to shoot a muntjac in the old rectory in the next village l told them that they will return and that was 28 muntjac ago.

They are a very adaptable creature were they can get a foot hold and make inroads they will thrive and will except the presents of man and quite literally live side by side with him.
    would ya be interseted in a swap for a few sika

I live in a large city, we a bit too far north for Muntjac at the moment be we do have urban Roe. There are not many but some have used the railway lines as green corridors into urban areas. Some of the scrubland on railway land, abandoned allotments and wasteland around industrial areas provide good habitat. There was one living on the allotments just down the lane from my house, I never saw him/her but did see the slots.