Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Different make of cases with same load & bullet what effect ?

Different make of cases with same load & bullet what effect ?

I have several different makes of used cartridges all fired from my gun. When I eventually get everthing together and actually make my 1st load how much of a variation would these different cases make to the accuracy when everthing else is identical ? or should you always use the same make of brass.

It's been sometime, since I've started doing something new, that has left me wanting to ask so many questions. Maybe it's the thought that it could all go so terribly wrong.

It has the potential to make a significant difference but when I have tried it before I have not noticed much difference. Perhaps I was just lucky? I suspect if you are running hot loads you should be very careful changing anything but my loads at the time were moderate so there were no adverse effects seen

use the same make of brass every manufacturer used difrent brass and by using difrent manufacturers the case capasitey may change so one load that you have tested may well be safe but using a difrent case may give higher presure poped primer as the thiknes of the brass will chainge pressure within the case results may chainge which you would think would affect acurasey but im no expert have never triyed mixing brass or components as was told this was not a good idea

will make no difference at sensible charge weights

Different case wall thickness between makes is common and this will give you slightly different internal capacities. The elasticity of the brass will also differ as some are softer/harder than others. You want to try and keep things the same as much as possible as you can't expect to get good results, and perhaps more importantly, duplicate them otherwise. There is safety (differences in pressure) to consider as well.

Consistent safe accurate reliable ammunition is the aim of most reloaders.
    To be consistent surely you need to use the cases of the same length and internal volume hence pressure/velocity. Hence the accepted approach is that loads should be developed using cases of the same make and preferably batch.

If you are willing to accept a lesser standard and keep your powder charges down to ensure that safe pressures are never exceeded so what, continue with your lucky dip approach. But if you want to achieve the best possible accuracy using the components and rifle that you have wouldn't it be better to accept what all the reloading manuals say is the best method of doing so.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Consistent safe accurate reliable ammunition is the aim of most reloaders.
    To be consistent surely you need to use the cases of the same length and internal volume hence pressure/velocity. Hence the accepted approach is that loads should be developed using cases of the same make and preferably batch.

If you are willing to accept a lesser standard and keep your powder charges down to ensure that safe pressures are never exceeded so what, continue with your lucky dip approach. But if you want to achieve the best possible accuracy using the components and rifle that you have wouldn't it be better to accept what all the reloading manuals say is the best method of doing so.
    so I take it you don't like the fact that I group sub inch with any mix of brass cases with 44gr of vit140 and can also mix 150gr sst's and B-tips in the mag to do it. I don't need match accuracy to kill my deer, I have skill, ability and 20 years of experience for that. There's no need to subscribe to commercial analism to make the finest ammunition from the most expensive components. The bullet is the key component in reloading, then the charge. The case and primer are far less important. I'd like to hear how pressure variation with standard charges due to case volume differs during the combustion of propellent effects the bullets performance at 200m

After all we're talking about deer stalking and not 1000m match. The aim of most reloaders is not perfection, it is simply improved quality ammunition at a more affordable price.

You may get results that are within your own acceptable parameters Paul using the lucky dip system, but you will definately get more consistant results if you seperate your cases by maker/batch. I don't subscribe to the benchrest super accurate mentality myself because like yourself I limit my shooting to 200 yards maximum other than the occasional venture onto a outdoor range and shoot further. The principle that I work to is KISS, but I don't see any reason for not trying to achieve the most consistant results using simple basic processes.
    A friend of mine on the other hand who doesn't shoot at any greater distances than I do was complaining the other night that ammunition loaded on one of his two rockchucker presses produces ammo with 2 thou more run out than ammo loaded on the other press. At 200 yards what difference is that going to make. I know it can get a bit obsessive but I think that you on the other hand may be taking just a bit too far the other way. If you are happy with your results carry on, it doesn't really bother me one way or the other but I think that I will continue to seperate my cases by manufacturer as this gives me the results that I am happy with.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

well, ok load to your 'happy' standard but the quality of my dodgy ammunition is as good as any other reload intended for deer, the fraction potential variation of each individual bullet is not measurable by the ability of the best deerstalkers I know. My process:

fire
    clean
    de-prime after inspection
    pocket clean
    FL size
    prime
    charge 5 from thrower, pour and weigh for weight and consistency
    charge and seat
    weight batch on digital scales for consistency ie missed charge
    go stalking
    gun go bang, deer fall over

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    will make no difference at sensible charge weights
    Mmmmmmm not really great advice to hand out,seeing there can be so many differences in cases.