Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Measure.

New Measure.

I went to an estate sale at the request of the manager so that i could identify some bits and pieces of reloading gear that was scattered around a Quonset-hut like shop. I spent about three hours sorting stuff and in the end bought a Neil Jones micrometer powder measure with two hoppers, a Redding "Match Grade" micrometer powder measure, a powder trickler, a tub of 17 cal bullets and a 17 cal funnel for $150. I done good. The Jones measure reminds me of a Harrell in a way. Can't wait to use it.~Muir

(I'm betting it won't be any better than any other volumetric measure for accuracy)

And you told me you were going to cut the grass!

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

I must try this "I only have $150 to spend" approach as in need of a 1" variable Swarovski scope!

K

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    I must try this "I only have $150 to spend" approach as in need of a 1" variable Swarovski scope!

K
    If you find one at that price I'd appreciate a heads up

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    And you told me you were going to cut the grass!

John
    I had every intention of doing so, Dear Cuz, but I had to shoot first and then the rains came in, which turned to snow, and when it got too windy to shoot I got a call asking me to come out to the fellow's shop. It just wasn't in the cards. There's always June...~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post

K
    Well. The downside is that my grocery money is gone for the next two weeks. It'll be rice and pinto beans with venison til payday. Some things I left on the table:

: four different neck turning outfits.
    : An LE Wilson Micrometer Trimmer with stand and a dozen or so dies.
    : 20 sets of dies.
    : 20 odd pounds of powder
    : Two Thousand + Sierra 7mm, 150 grain BTSP
    : A PACT Chronograph
    : Two Dillon progressive shotgun reloaders
    : A Ransom "Master" bench rest shooting platform (front)
    : A Hart Benchrest shooting platform with three sets of bags
    ....and a bucket load of bits and pieces the man machined himself.

My friend bought a Sinclair Shooting platform (bench rest) that retails for $650 for $300 and the guy threw in 200 new 284 Winchester cases.
    And we're told we missed the good stuff.....~Muir

An update.
    I tried the Jones Powder Measure. Holy Mother of Pearl! That is one slick piece of work! You can screw a powder tub right into the measure so when you are done shooting you simply invert the measure and the powder is back in it's proper container. After some practice I tested it with IMR 4895 powder and threw 20 charges. 14 were dead on 41.5 grains, 5 were +/- .1 grains, and one was + .2. For the kind of hillbilly pumpkin busting I do that is close enough! The action of the measure was smooth with barely a shudder on the remarkably rare occasion it cut a kernel of powder. Is it worth $500 US?? I guess if I had $20K in a custom BR gun it might be, but otherwise, I think not. Certainly not for hunting purposes. I read a bunch of articles that featured this measure, and all the long range shooters were still trickling their loads after using the Jones measure. Now that was a waste of money, for sure; a teaspoon would have worked.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    : Two Dillon progressive shotgun reloaders

Dillon.
    Shotgun.
    Reloader.
    TWO OF THEM

Model 900?? Is that right?
    There was a couple of Ponsess Warren presses as well but they were sold.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    for sure; a teaspoon would have worked.~Muir
    ​That's what I do, hasn't let me down yet.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/