New Measure.

Muir

I went to an estate sale at the request of the manager so that i could identify some bits and pieces of reloading gear that was scattered around a Quonset-hut like shop. I spent about three hours sorting stuff and in the end bought a Neil Jones micrometer powder measure with two hoppers, a Redding "Match Grade" micrometer powder measure, a powder trickler, a tub of 17 cal bullets and a 17 cal funnel for $150. I done good. The Jones measure reminds me of a Harrell in a way. Can't wait to use it.~Muir

(I'm betting it won't be any better than any other volumetric measure for accuracy)

And you told me you were going to cut the grass!

John

I had every intention of doing so, Dear Cuz, but I had to shoot first and then the rains came in, which turned to snow, and when it got too windy to shoot I got a call asking me to come out to the fellow's shop. It just wasn't in the cards. There's always June...~Muir

I must try this "I only have $150 to spend" approach as in need of a 1" variable Swarovski scope!

K

Well. The downside is that my grocery money is gone for the next two weeks. It'll be rice and pinto beans with venison til payday. Some things I left on the table:

: four different neck turning outfits.
: An LE Wilson Micrometer Trimmer with stand and a dozen or so dies.
: 20 sets of dies.
: 20 odd pounds of powder
: Two Thousand + Sierra 7mm, 150 grain BTSP
: A PACT Chronograph
: Two Dillon progressive shotgun reloaders
: A Ransom "Master" bench rest shooting platform (front)
: A Hart Benchrest shooting platform with three sets of bags
....and a bucket load of bits and pieces the man machined himself.

My friend bought a Sinclair Shooting platform (bench rest) that retails for $650 for $300 and the guy threw in 200 new 284 Winchester cases.
And we're told we missed the good stuff.....~Muir

An update.
I tried the Jones Powder Measure. Holy Mother of Pearl! That is one slick piece of work! You can screw a powder tub right into the measure so when you are done shooting you simply invert the measure and the powder is back in it's proper container. After some practice I tested it with IMR 4895 powder and threw 20 charges. 14 were dead on 41.5 grains, 5 were +/- .1 grains, and one was + .2. For the kind of hillbilly pumpkin busting I do that is close enough! The action of the measure was smooth with barely a shudder on the remarkably rare occasion it cut a kernel of powder. Is it worth $500 US?? I guess if I had $20K in a custom BR gun it might be, but otherwise, I think not. Certainly not for hunting purposes. I read a bunch of articles that featured this measure, and all the long range shooters were still trickling their loads after using the Jones measure. Now that was a waste of money, for sure; a teaspoon would have worked.~Muir

Model 900?? Is that right?
There was a couple of Ponsess Warren presses as well but they were sold.~Muir

Ah now you're talking my language !

PW made progressives in 800B , 800C , 900 , 950 and 1000 but they were all virtually the same .

I had a pair of the 800B's I got used in 12 and 28 . Then later I upgraded to 800C's in 12 , 20 , 28 and 410 . Actually the difference between the 800B and the 800C was that the B was not changable and the C's could be "converted" hance the "C" . They also made a less inexpensive progressive called a 600 I believe but I never owned one of those . They did make a single stage called a 375 and I did have one of those for awhile for the 10 gauge and 16 gauge .

Ponsness Warren was the Rolls Royce of shotgun loaders back when I did it on a regular basis . Now PW has competition from a company called Spolar that from what I can see is a fairly close copy of a PW with a couple new features . I know ALOT of folks that swear by the MEC 9000's and actually a PW is only $150-200 more then the MEC price wise . I've never owned a Dillon press of any kind or used one for that matter so cannot comment on them . Or the RCBS shotgun loader but again I have friends that have them and swear by them .

Muir , if you're ever so inclined I'd like to see a couple pics of the powder measure you said is like a Harrell !

I have a couple buds that use the Harrell's and have kinda been wanting one . Don't really need it but I just kinda want it !
Seems Harrell has also started marketing a slightly pricey little press that would be good for taking to the range .

I have it in my head I wanna get set up so I can load a couple things at the range . With this little Harrell press I think you can use regular 7/8-14 dies . IF not there's always the Wilson setup with an Arbor Press ;)

This is the link to the Jones
Powder Measure

I have learned quite a bit about this measure. It is a standard in BR shooting to the extent that custom BR rifle builders will give load data as "X" number of clicks on a Jones, not grains. Jones claims that if your Jones measure tosses a given amount of powder at a certain setting, some guy in Alaska can use the same setting and get the same resulting weight -small variances in powder LOT taken into accord. They also claim, and I have verified it with IMR 4895, that if you have a setting, then go up X-number of clicks for a while, then back up those added clicks, your powder charge will be exactly the same as before the you moved it. I guess that accounts for the cost. :eek:

I load at the range using one of the Lee Hand Presses. (the nutcracker-looking one) Works great -if not lacking in the prestige of a Wilson in-line set! ~Muir

I load at the range using one of the Lee Hand Presses. (the nutcracker-looking one) Works great -if not lacking in the prestige of a Wilson in-line set! ~Muir

I have one of the Lee jobs . Originally I had purchased it to use as a deprimer in schuetzen matches so I could use the same case for all shots in a match . With a RCBS deprimer die it worked pretty well in conjunction with a Lee hand primer .

This is the link to the Jones
Powder Measure

I am familiar with the Harrell's but I'd not seen ne of these before .

Wow you would think for $500 they could give you more then one powder bottle !

That measure with an extra 2 or 3 bottles would be a good setup however for range work !

Actually, the powder bottles aren't necessary. IMR/Hodgdon powder cans screw right in. They are the same pitch and diameter. I just screwed in my IMR4895 can and started up measuring charges!~Muir

I think, no I'm certain that I need one of these :D

Neil. :)

Nonsense. People WANT a measure like this, or as a BR shooter, they can USE a measure like this, but a lot of measures costing far less will toss charges close enough for hunting. ~Muir

Thanks Marine. You can put it to the test next July.~Muir

Nonsense. People WANT a measure like this, or as a BR shooter, they can USE a measure like this, but a lot of measures costing far less will toss charges close enough for hunting. ~Muir

Thanks Marine. You can put it to the test next July.~Muir

Now that you got one of them thar fancy powder measures you need to get you some of them thar fancey Wilson dies and an R ber press !

All BS aside I kinda like all that stuff .

I'll never shoot IBR competition but it would be nice to have when I play with the heavy barrel guns from the bench !

But as you say one can get by with ALOT less !
I've been using the same old RCBS powder measure for 25 years !

You can see most of the powder dump on top , the press is my old Ponsness Warren Metallic II .

Back