scope for foxing

johnny77

looking a new scope but unsure what to go for...will mainly be used for lamping, but will get some use through the day...any recommendations on what to go for..will be be mounted on a sako 85 223...budget 500-1000 thanks all

zeiss conquest. 4.5/14x50,

mag is low enough for close range shots and has about enough for longer shots in the day light, plenty of mag adjustment for under the lamp.

just my thoughts as its what i have on my 20 tactical and it works well under the lamp and out to 450 yards + in the daylight.

bob.

thanks bob for the reply..dose anyone rate these
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 Rifle Scope

had a few Bushnells in the past bud.

would not put one on a rifle again, over priced for what they are and what they deliver, not bad in daylight but i found them not that good under the lamp.

bob.

nice meopta 7x50A on the sales section nice simple scope no messing just zero load and shoot.nice glass for the cash.

cant disagree with bob, ive both the 4.5x14 and 6.5x20 Conquests on my foxing rifles and faultless and to me for the money £500 ish they are unbeatable, had an elite 6500 4-30x50, ok but nothing special when compared to the zeiss in my opinion

You will get a good scope for that money . I would buy S&B Swarovski or Zeiss. Are you looking for variable or fixed power? Illuminated or not? I've had a few scopes and picked up a 2nd hand Schmidt zenith illuminated off here within your budget for my 223 great foxing rifle
​atb Steve

going to bite the bullet and buy a new scope and one that will last me my life...which one to go for have it down to one of two...what to buy??

[h=1]Swarovski Z6 MK2 2.5-15x56 P BT[/h]
[h=1]Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56[/h]

going to bite the bullet and buy a new scope and one that will last me my life...which one to go for have it down to one of two...what to buy??

Swarovski Z6 MK2 2.5-15x56 P BT

Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56

Swarovski every time. Although just to through a spanner in the works, I'd buy a Nightforce 8-32x56 with the
Np2-DD ret. Anyway best of luck with what ever you choose. They're all great scopes.

Paul

Zeiss have the best glass while Swaro, currently, have the best brand image. Take your pick.

is there much difference in them caorach

Not in my opinion. I don't think there is enough difference between any of the "top tier" glass to make any practical difference in the field. You might argue that you prefer "brand X" but if you actually put up a bit of newsprint, say, and set "brand X" up beside "brand Y" and record the time when you can no longer read the headline from a given distance my money says there is nothing in it. My money also says that if you make the same measurement on successive nights that the difference in performance of your eyes (you don't see so well when tired, or ill, or dehydrated, or a whole range of other physical factors) is more of a factor than the difference between brands. Your performance is likely to be the biggest variable in the chain. Knowing you've just spent nearly £2k on the scope might also seriously impact your preferences and perceived performance.

Resolution in low light can be measured, the fact that manufacturers and the various shooting magazines never make even an attempt to make such a measurement should tell you something.

I use an 8X56 S&B that I bought second hand for £250, I'd rate S&B glass equal 3rd (along with Swaro) in terms of last light performance. I shoot very wary sika in thick commercial forestry and I don't believe any of the others would let me shoot any more deer, but spending the £1600 it would cost to "upgrade" to to a "top of the range scope" on extra stalking will almost certainly ensure that I do shoot more deer plus I'll have a lot more fun. The £1600 difference would put you on the ferry and pay for a week at red hinds somewhere nice in Scotland and in the end that would be a lot more satisfying than having a "top of the range scope" which quickly becomes "last year's model." I also don't believe that I "need" anything else beyond the scope I have, despite thinking that I'd really like the Nickel 3-12X56.

Not in my opinion. I don't think there is enough difference between any of the "top tier" glass to make any practical difference in the field. You might argue that you prefer "brand X" but if you actually put up a bit of newsprint, say, and set "brand X" up beside "brand Y" and record the time when you can no longer read the headline from a given distance my money says there is nothing in it. My money also says that if you make the same measurement on successive nights that the difference in performance of your eyes (you don't see so well when tired, or ill, or dehydrated, or a whole range of other physical factors) is more of a factor than the difference between brands. Your performance is likely to be the biggest variable in the chain. Knowing you've just spent nearly £2k on the scope might also seriously impact your preferences and perceived performance.

Resolution in low light can be measured, the fact that manufacturers and the various shooting magazines never make even an attempt to make such a measurement should tell you something.

I use an 8X56 S&B that I bought second hand for £250, I'd rate S&B glass equal 3rd (along with Swaro) in terms of last light performance. I shoot very wary sika in thick commercial forestry and I don't believe any of the others would let me shoot any more deer, but spending the £1600 it would cost to "upgrade" to to a "top of the range scope" on extra stalking will almost certainly ensure that I do shoot more deer plus I'll have a lot more fun. The £1600 difference would put you on the ferry and pay for a week at red hinds somewhere nice in Scotland and in the end that would be a lot more satisfying than having a "top of the range scope" which quickly becomes "last year's model." I also don't believe that I "need" anything else beyond the scope I have, despite thinking that I'd really like the Nickel 3-12X56.

thanks for that caorach, im running with a nikko sterling 3-12-56 ir nighteater...its likley good enough..but at 100yds its just not very clear...or maybe its my eyesight lol

If it isn't working for you then you may be better off with something else - most scopes should cope with most eyesight problems. I know nothing about Nikko Sterling scopes but don't believe they are considered among the best.

You'd have a second hand 8X56 S&B for less than £400 and that would give you top tier glass and a scope considered by many to be the ideal foxing scope, or the ideal stalking scope, or both. If you didn't like it you could sell it for what you paid for it, if you buy well, and if you keep it a few years you could likely sell it for more than you paid for it. You don't get much better value for money than something that is top quality and costs nothing.

Swarovski Z6 MK2 2.5-15x56 P BT

Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56

It would be worth considering the fact that the Zeiss HT has no parallax adjustment to fiddle with when you're under pressure to take the shot ..... Definitely an advantage over the Swaro if it's out of focus.

I've got one of the Swaro 2.5-15x56's, lovely 'scope but I graduated to a Zeiss 6-24x56 and found the parallax adjustment to be a lot more forgiving than the Swaro's.

But then I also had an old faithful Swaro Habicht 3-12x56 with no parallax adj and that accounted for many a fox over the years.

Atb

Fizz
:cool:

I would consider the meopta 3-12 or 3-12 duralyte I bought a nightforce a few months ago and took off a meopta that now sits in the cupboard, but I wouldn't say the nightforce is any better optically but its got more mag and a finer dot, that was the trouble with the meopta the cross got bigger when the mag was wound up which made zeroing at 200yrds awkward but all il say is everyones eyes are different so pick up and look through as many as you can and see what suits you

Back