Thread: lending an air rifle...

lending an air rifle...

A work mate has a rat problem at the bottom of his garden and has asked if any one at work has an air rifle he could borrow for the week end to sort the rats out... He has done me a few favours in the past and im considering lending him my springer and pellets but im worried that i might contravene some rule or law and put my FAC in danger etc....My mates a sensible bloke in his 50s and id trust him to be sensible and careful with the air rifle....Could any body let me know where i stand pls... Cheers Hugh.

i think as long as the air rifle is within the leagal 12 f/lb bracket and the pellets stay within his boundry and is causing no distress the the general public there shouldnt be a problem , to be on the safe side tell him if the **** hits the fan ,its his gun and has been for a very long time ! i could be wrong here ,but this is how i think the legalaty is ,atb arron,
    Last edited by arron; 21-04-2013 at 11:53.

You can lend an air rifle to anyone over the age of 18 that you want to.

If he gets into trouble with it, remind him that he will have to replace ti for you, thats all.

Just one more thing to think about but probably not relevant as you have already said the guy is a decent guy, just check that your mate isn't one of those persons who are excluded from legally possessing a firearm.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

But as it is not a firearm how will this affect him?
    his friend could be a sex offended with more registers than a Tescos check out and could still walk into a shop and buy a sub 12ft/l air rifle

just let him have it , why over think things he can have use of your air gun /rifle or buy his own as long as 12ft/lb unless he may have a fac with a slot for a fac airrifle! . if he cocks up down to him, unless you are plod and you can do a C.R check but you prob are't ! if you had gone this far then your have dow'ts and it would be NO way matey but it sounds like you trust him then its up to you, below is a note you may wish to tell him about from the BASC.website Firing pellets beyond your boundary

It is an offence to fire an air rifle pellet beyond the land where you have permission to shoot, unless the person holding the shooting rights of the neighbouring land has given you permission. Where someone under 14 is shooting, both the young person and the supervising adult can be prosecuted.
    It is also against the law, in England and Wales, to fire an air rifle within 50 feet of the centre of a highway (which consists of or comprises a carriageway)if in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered. These offences could be committed, for example, when someone is shooting in their garden close to a public highway and the pellets ricochet onto the highway.
    It is an offence in Scotland to discharge any gun in a culpable or reckless manner. This means shooting without caring about the safety of others.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    his friend could be a sex offended with more registers than a Tescos check out and could still walk into a shop and buy a sub 12ft/l air rifle
    Nope
    Prohibited persons can not own or borrow an air rifle

Thank you for the replys lads...Im seeing him on monday and will go over a few things with him before he has my rifle...im happy to lend it to him and im sure every thing will be fine, ive known him a few years and he has never once given me cause to raise my eye brows or doubt his word....Hugh.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    not correct. an airgun is a firearm in legal terms.
    There are essentially 3 grades
    1 -'Especially dangerous' i.e FAC graded air rifles (note you dont get FAC air pistols as they are sec5)
    2 - sub 12ft/lbs air riles (6ft/lbs for air pistols) dont require an fac but you cant own one if you are a prohibited person
    3 - Airsoft - essentially below the legal rating of lethality i.e 1joule approx m/e so they cant break skin..thse are not firearms and are in the eyes of the law 'toys / nonguns' hence you can have full auto airsoft.
    This is just a quick sketch of the law but they are most definitely regarded as firearms for legal purposes