Thread: mole skins. may aswell make use of them

mole skins. may aswell make use of them

Hi all. After having a successful week with mole trapping it seems a shame to waste the skins. Any suggestions on how to treat / tan / cure them would be gratefully received. Was thinking of a pair of gloves would be a good project to start with. Regards pete

How's about a pair of moleskin pants for yourself and a moleskin thong for your mrs ? Nice

Hee hee. A friend suggested leave the head and front feet on for a novelty posing pouch

Very nice and if the snow returns you can always turn them inside out lol

plumbers used to like moleskin for wiping lead joints.

unlikely to be needed much anymore?

Tan them and sell to a fly fisherman who ties fishing flies, i use it and it is a great material.
    Cheers
    Richard

A good friend and fellow stalker is after a lighter / silver furred mole for exactly that

Back in the 80's that was my after school job, nailing mole skins onto drying boards, usually 4 nails to make roughly a 4" sq and then air dry for selling to tanneries, no idea wot they used them for laterly. And no it's not been moleskin trousers for years. Not much demand for them now. In the old days u used to get a glossy magazine from the tanneries with their different prices for various furs and pelts

Air drying would not be much good for using the skins for clothing as dry hard but would be fine for fly tying or storing (Watch for flies/maggots as sometimes a small area turns/rolls over and stays moist and u have to fold/unroll it out)

Are the skins still in good nick and not starting to moult now, esp as far down as kent? Price used to vary at this time off year and to be honest skins were usually rubbish for 3-4 months throu summer. I'd wait till back end if ur putting some work into the pelt as fur is far better

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    A good friend and fellow stalker is after a lighter / silver furred mole for exactly that

If u pm me i could probably get u a slighlty unusal coloured mole but not due in that area or a while

Thanks country boy will bear that in mind. Fur looks in pretty good nick still. Still getting frosts down here tthis weekendso may have delayed moulting i guess. May well practice / try differant methods of curing on this batch then use winter moles to make gloves etc