Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: distorted cases after firing

distorted cases after firing

I have a nagging problem, and would be very grateful for opinions.

I've been having some on-and-off accuracy problems with a Tikka T3 .222.

Sometimes it cloverleafs at 100m, sometimes I can't get groups under 3 inches at 50m. I've been going insane trying to work out what the problem is, and have gone through *all* the variables.

I finally noticed that the spent cases were coming out slightly distorted. These are standard factory rounds (Sako 55gr). About a 6th of the circumference is slightly flattened.

I've cycled rounds through the chamber without firing, and there are no scratch marks or distortions. There's no resistance when cycling rounds, fired or unfired. The distortion only apprears on fired cases.

Is this likely to be the root of my accuracy problem? And if so, what might be causing it? And is there is there a solution?

It is very odd: the rifle behaved beautifully for the first few months I had it, and then the consistency fell off a cliff. Nothing had changed: same cleaning regime, same factory ammo, no knocks etc etc.

I'd be extremely grateful for any input

mmm i would try some new lapua cases ,as you said it was going good before ?
    ​how many fireings have the cases had ?

Quote Originally Posted by 6.5rem700 View Post
    mmm i would try some new lapua cases ,as you said it was going good before ?
    ​how many fireings have the cases had ?
    Factory rounds - so first firing.

Is the flattening happening at the case mouth?

My first guess would be that this is happening on extraction and so isn't likely to be the source of your problem.

​To be honest for the source of your problem I'd be looking at scope/rings and that type of thing.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

you mean the case lip?

does it matter how you extract them? Try firing and removing by hand to exclude any ding as it extracts.
    ​Are you getting the variable results from the same box of ammo?

I would guess it is caused by the brass hitting the side of the action during extraction. Try firing some rounds, but bringing the bolt back slowly so they eject in a controlled fashion. I bet that's it. Had similar on a rifle I had, but it shot fine.

Check everythings tight mate !

Yes - it's the case lip/mouth that's slightly flattened.

Ed: some boxes are more variable than others (just had a box that awful, and am now on one that isn't so bad). But all have the slightly
    flattened lips.

They look as if they've just been tapped on one side to press in the side a touch.

By the way (and this may say a lot about my ignorance), but how do you extract by hand? I have to open the bolt to get access to the chamber, and that necessarily ejects the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Yes - it's the case lip/mouth that's slightly flattened.

Ed: some boxes are more variable than others (just had a box that awful, and am now on one that isn't so bad). But all have the slightly
    flattened lips.

They look as if they've just been tapped on one side to press in the side a touch.

By the way (and this may say a lot about my ignorance), but how do you extract by hand? I have to open the bolt to get access to the chamber, and that necessarily ejects the case.
    Put a finger on the case so that the plunger won't slap it against the inside of the receiver ring.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Put a finger on the case so that the plunger won't slap it against the inside of the receiver ring.~Muir
    Great - thanks Muir.