Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: buying bullets for someone else

buying bullet heads for someone else

hello. i am contemplating a trip up country to collect some components for reloading. whilst i am up there a friend of mine has asked me to get him some heads. the caliber of heads is not a problem as i have it on my fac and so does he. the problem is i can only buy 200 at a time. can i take his fac with a convering letter or is this not legal? also is there a way of getting heads posted down similar to posting a firearm?

thanks
    Tom
    Last edited by Tomm; 22-04-2013 at 09:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    hello. i am contemplating a trip up country to collect some components for reloading. whilst i am up there a friend of mine has asked me to get him some heads. the caliber of heads is not a problem as i have it on my fac and so does he. the problem is i can only buy 200 at a time. can i take his fac with a convering letter or is this not legal? also is there a way of getting heads posted down similar to posting a firearm?

thanks
    Tom
    Bullets, Bullets, Bullets they are called bullets.

It used to be quite acceptable to take someone else's certificate and buy on their behalf with a covering letter but since the introduction of photographs on certificates I'm not sure if this is now acceptable or legal or even if the dealer would be prepared to sell to you in such a way. Why don't you give the dealer a call beforehand. As regards having expanding bullets sent by carrier to another dealer this is quite common and how MidwayUK do it.
    Last edited by 8x57; 22-04-2013 at 09:03.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Depends on your allowance.
    what is to stop you buying more than you need within your allowance and then selling them to him?

as far as taking his FAC, I would say no. there is a photo on it for a reason.

Expanding bullets can be posted RFD to RFD but the cost of doing so negates the benefit.
    It may only be a 10 TNT cost but by the time the RFD's have taken their pound of flesh it will be 25-30

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Bullets, Bullets, Bullets they are called bullets.

It used to be quite acceptable to take someone else's certificate and buy on their behalf with a covering letter but since the introduction of photographs on certificates I'm not sure if this is now acceptable or legal or even if the dealer would be prepared to sell to you in such a way. Why don't you give the dealer a call beforehand. As regards having expanding bullets sent by carrier to another dealer this is quite common and how MidwayUK do it.
    i will give them a ring and see about postage costs etc. i wasnt aware that you would send them via carrier. if thats the case it would save me alot of time and fuel money!

if memory serves, what you mean is you can only be in possession of 200 rounds of ammunition, the bullets/heads/little-bits-of-lead-flyinging-out-the-barrel doesn't apply to the FAC.
    ie you can buy a 1000 but they don't apply until they have been made into rounds.
    so you can only reload 200 at a time.
    I think that's right, but I'm sure that someone out there will challenge it if wrong!!
    You live and learn........
    .........or you don't live long

Quote Originally Posted by Herbi1969 View Post
    if memory serves, what you mean is you can only be in possession of 200 rounds of ammunition, the bullets/heads/little-bits-of-lead-flyinging-out-the-barrel doesn't apply to the FAC.
    ie you can buy a 1000 but they don't apply until they have been made into rounds.
    so you can only reload 200 at a time.
    I think that's right, but I'm sure that someone out there will challenge it if wrong!!
    Sorry Herbi but you are mistaken there. Expanding bullets (or missiles as the H.O. refer to them) count towards your ammunition allowance loaded or not. However you can buy as and possess as many non expanding bullets as you like as these are not controlled until assembled into a round.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

The photo has nothing to do with it, you can send anybody with your SGC and a covering letter to buy shells on your behalf.
    Never heard of it being done with an FAC, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
    The photo has nothing to do with it, you can send anybody with your SGC and a covering letter to buy shells on your behalf.
    Never heard of it being done with an FAC, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Neil.
    you can buy shotgun cartridge without a SGC, anyone can buy them
    FAC and expanding ammo is totally different

Unless you got your certificate on you Litts will not sell you shotgun shells.......and definitely not Rifle ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    you can buy shotgun cartridge without a SGC, anyone can buy them
    The only place I have never been asked for my SGC for shells is a clay shoot, never managed to buy any in a shop without.

Neil.