How strong is a fox?

Renico

I have a field where there is a high acitvity of swans. Here the other afternoon i found a dead one near a lake, so I decided to walk back to my car to get my phone. It became pretty dark as I went back to the swan so i brought my flashlight. When I got to the lake again the swan was gone, and 20 minutes ago it was right here where I stood. Well I looked around with my flashlight and saw something white 50-70 meters away. So while I was going to my car, something has carried or dragged the swan away.

I was wondering if a fox is so strong to carry a big swan like that?

Here in Denmark foxes is the largest predator, but there has been some wolfes activity lately?

A short answer is yes, plenty strong enough to carry drag away a full grown swan, at least the south yorks ones are as witnessed personally.

Foxes account for just about every signet born around the lakes I look after and have taken first time
breeding pairs on several occasions while they sit on the nest, after swimming 40 yards to do it.
I should I am told by the club members do something about it, but to be honest I'd rather have a few foxes
​than a family of swans, far less agro from the foxes.

Neil. :)

Unfortunately due to the nature of my job, I have to remove dead swans on a fairly regular basis. Surprisingly a large adult swan is not that heavy, so I would not be surprised to think a fox could make off with one.

Back