Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: More on care for a wood rifle stock...

More on care for a wood rifle stock...

First, apologies to david1976 for adopting his recent thread:

I had a similar problem with the stock on my Tikka M55 - out in the snow a few times, it was looking a bit sorry for itself. I read the above thread with interest, and had an exchange of pms with two of the contributors - "olaf" and "simjim33 (aka Fusion Stock Works)" - many thanks both for all your help and encouragement!

Like david1976 I decided to use olaf's procedure for cleaning and oiling the stock: clean with a mixture of equal parts methylated spirits/turpentine (substitute)/raw linseed oil; treat with 80:20 raw linseed oil/turpentine (substitute) once daily for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, then as necessary thereafter!

I'm currently halfway through the "once a week for a month" stage, and I think it's looking encouraging. I've attached one picture taken before I started and some of how it looks so far (hopefully you can tell which is which!). I'll definitely be completing the process.

Once again, many thanks to olaf and simjim33.

Andrew

Andrew, your very kind to show such appreciation, indeed, it was a pleasure to be of help. I'm just sorry that the Linseed oil finish hasn't given it that rubberised plastic look that all stalkers clearly aspire to. Never mind, it will have to do eh !
    Cheers for the pictures, and good on you for making that bit of Walnut show its beauty once more.

Kind regards, Olaf

Olaf, I've been following your recommendations on my Steyr Mannlicher stutzen, and while I was at it, I thought I'd do the stock of my Yildiz 'fowling piece too. So far, the rifle is coming up beautifully, but slowly. The real surprise though is the stock on the Yildiz. It's not by any means an expensive gun, it's a bulky, heavily beefed-up 12 bore designed to take 3 1/2" loads with steel shot, and it now has a completely disproportionately beautiful stock! Sort of a "Pimp My Fowling Piece" effect. Anyway, Yildiz must use surprisingly high quality walnut, but maybe being Turkish, they have access to it at reasonable prices. The Steyr is coming along though, I'll put up some pics when it's ready. Thanks!

Andrew s, have you stained your stock at all? coming up a beautiful colour i want to do my m595!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Olaf, I've been following your recommendations on my Steyr Mannlicher stutzen, and while I was at it, I thought I'd do the stock of my Yildiz 'fowling piece too. So far, the rifle is coming up beautifully, but slowly. The real surprise though is the stock on the Yildiz. It's not by any means an expensive gun, it's a bulky, heavily beefed-up 12 bore designed to take 3 1/2" loads with steel shot, and it now has a completely disproportionately beautiful stock! Sort of a "Pimp My Fowling Piece" effect. Anyway, Yildiz must use surprisingly high quality walnut, but maybe being Turkish, they have access to it at reasonable prices. The Steyr is coming along though, I'll put up some pics when it's ready. Thanks!
    You will find that quite basic woods given a bit of care will be transformed.

It really does not take much effort on your part. Andrew has done well with his stock. All credit to him.

Come on Pine Martin post some pictures of your Yildiz.

I for one would like to see it.

No, I haven't stained the wood, it's as it came from Tikka. Get oiling the M595!

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by wikedwickedmotox View Post
    Andrew s, have you stained your stock at all? coming up a beautiful colour i want to do my m595!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post

Great news ! I'm very pleased to hear it.

that is a fine looking rifle.
    wood is looking lovely

I find that as with all painting and surface preparation the work done on the bare surface is what really pays off.
    using grain filler and very fine sand paper gives an incredible surface to apply whatever oil preparation you desire and can result in some seriously high grade finish on what would previously be looked at as average wood

haha you have beaten me to it, I have been taking pics of mine also and was planning to post them up. No need to now

Quote Originally Posted by Simjim33 View Post
    You will find that quite basic woods given a bit of care will be transformed.
    This is correct!
    It really does not take much effort on your part HA,,,that depends on the outcome you want, but more importantly, what you want it to look like after a week on the reds in Argyll in the rain and peat hags. Easy to make a stock look good,,,another story to make the finish last!. Andrew has done well with his stock. All credit to him. Indeed, well done Sir.

Come on Pine Martin post some pictures of your Yildiz.

I for one would like to see it.

“One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset