Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Leave well alone, or not?

To Leave well alone, or not?

Hi All,

I've recently bought a Parker Hale 1200, it is in great condition and shoots well, but I'm tempted to remove the woodwork to:

Check for corrosion and oil the bottom of the action and barrel.
    To see what date it was proofed.
    And because I can't help tinkering.

Should I leave well alone? And if not and I do decide to strip it down how do I do it and what are the pit falls? It has a floated barrel & doesn't have the bar forward of the action that goes across the woodwork.

Cheers,

Jim

any pics mate , you wont do any harm having a look just undo the action screws in the trigger guard and it should slip out nicely mine didnt have the pillar either i ended up with a crack near the back action screw so not sure what caused this but brithunter will have some input, it shot exellent groups i am half way through putting a brand new stock on it and then when devconned i will reblue everything it was a lovely rifle to shoot ,will look forward to some pics of yours ,ps if its shooting good leave the messing with the stock apart from sealing the barrel channel so moisture doesnt build up and you will be fine, atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Cheers Mereside,

I've attached a couple of pics.

I'm afraid I'm a novice at this so what would be the best way to seal the barrel channel, what would I use and would it effect the way it shoots?

Cheers,

​Jim
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker Sm.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	867.5 KB 
ID:	27384
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Parker Hale P-30604 Sm.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	27383

oh very nice indeed ,what cal?
    as for sealing use an oil like walnut or a mix of linseed if the channel like mine has probably not had anything on it it will stop moisture getting in ,atb wayne
    ps the new stock i have just got is the same style

uksha
    or find us on facebook

i strip 2nd hand rifles as a matter of course
    no harm done so long as you make a note of action screw position and return them to the same position

a good clean never hurt

"a good clean never hurt" That's what they say when time comes around for my annual bath! Still fight like hell though!

David.

I also have a P/H 1200, the stock is reallly easy to take off. I stripped the polyurethane finish using Nitromors, reshaped the forend to remove the 'Ford Anglia' slope and used Truoil for the finish. A really nice rifle now, more than accurate enough for stalking and it doesn't really matter if the stock picks up a few scrapes.

The P-H rifles were actually fairly well sealed from the factory. It's usually when some "well meaning" owner tries to improve things that things go downhill fast. They read an article in some magazine and set too without giving any thoguhts as to why he rifle was built and set up the way it was.

They then slap it back together and are dismayed when it shoots worse than before.

Depending upon which market you 1200 was destined for will determine the finish. Some have blackened bolt handles most are simply left polished. The stock could be oiled finished or sprayed with a poly varnish. The poly varnish is usually very gloss. The more matt finish is usually oiled but one needs to check as there is always the possibility of a previous owner sanding the gloss down on the varnish.

Some models were glass bedded from the factory the 1200V and 1200TX being two. From the factory a 1200 Super would have a pressure point bedded stock. That is it has a pressure point just back from the tip of the fore-stock and is not free floated. This is not a mistake as some have said before but a well thought out bedding method.

On reassembly of stock to action a light coating of a suitable grease or wax to the metal hidden by the stock is good to prevent moisture getting to the metal. Triggers should not be greased!

Cheers for all the advice guys,

I believe it's a 1200v as it has the heavy barrel, and gold trigger, which is really light & single pressure, it's got an oiled stock which I think was as it left the factory.

I'd love to date it but as I said I'm a little nervous about stripping it down as it is sweet at the moment and while I'm happy to take it apart I know nothing of bedding in etc and would hate to mess it up.

It's so bl**dy annoying that all the Parker Hale records were destroyed, I'd love to know it's history, but there we go.

Thanks again,
    Jim

jim if you get the numbers brit will date it as he knows alot about them and helped me lots on the triggers and other stuff, atb wayne

uksha
    or find us on facebook