Thread: help please guys

Established Poster

help please guys

just a simple one for those who know, I have recently missed a couple of fox close up around 50-60 yrds? my question is what distance should i set my scope at so i can kill from 60 out to 150? thanks for any help people, regards mal.

What is it set at, at the moment? Try shooting it at the different ranges and see where the rifle shoots. Until you try it on paper, you wont really know.

​Tom

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    If you have zeroed your rifle at 100m then it is highly unlikely that it's your rifle. But do check your mounts, your scope and your rifle and make sure everything is bolted down properly. Then get on a target and test. If everything is okay then unfortunately the next thing to do is give yourself a good slap and thorough talking to. We all miss and any one who says they don't is lying. The biggest secret is learning to accept that, then pick up the pieces and get out there.
    Likely that you missed the first one and were nervous about doing it again resulting in a second miss. Loose the fear of missing and you'll shoot better
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Personally my rifle is zeroed at 100m as i shoot more deer out to a 100m than i do 200m

However i know from time spent on the range where its at inbetween and beyond.

From your post id suggest a few days plinking on the range re-establishing confidence and an exact knowledge of where your rounds are and at what distance.

Have some fun on the range Mal and it will all come together
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Your question is a little ambiguous.

Do you mean 'At what distance should I zero my rifle' ? or 'What magnification should I have my scope set at ?'

Answers above for the former are a good start, though it depends a bit on the characteristics of the cartridge and rifle. A hundred yard zero will be a tiny bit high at 75 yards for many centerfires (1" perhaps) with 1st point blank at around 30 yards. If you can shoot to an inch at 50 yards then there's not much with four legs that you will miss with that.

If its the latter, then that's subjective. Greater magification gives a bigger image, though more distortion (less depth of field) and obviously magnifies every movement proportionally.

I have a 3-12x S&B on my stalking rifle which I prefer set at 4-6 mag, even for the longest of shots I would choose to take (which are typicaly 100-130yards -most are <80).

The problem with high magnification is that as you concentrate and try to hold the sight picture, there is a tendency to oscillate, over compensating in each direction as you go.. I missed a spiker at 70 yards this week because I'd wound my scope up to take a final look at the condition of the animal and then didn't wind it back before taking the shot which went low... He's on my list for tomorrow

The barrel doesn't wobble more or less at high mag but you just see the movement more clearly. If you zero a centre fire rifle at 100 yards you should be able to shoot straight at a fox sized target between 0 and 160 yards and always hit within 1.5 - 2 inches of point of aim. Im afraid that If you missed at 50-60 yards it is because the rifle wasn't pointing at the fox properly, assuming of course that there was no mechanical problem to explain a loss of zero

Quote Originally Posted by mal mason View Post
    just a simple one for those who know, I have recently missed a couple of fox close up around 50-60 yrds? my question is what distance should i set my scope at so i can kill from 60 out to 150? thanks for any help people, regards mal.
    The simply and maybe painful answer it to go and practice more. Learn where the shots land at different ranges.

Your question is a very basic beginners one and make me wonder if really you should be wandering about shooting wildlife before knowing the basics?

As to what distance to zero at without the basic information as to cartridge the rifle is chambered for and type of scope and mounts no one can really advise. Once again it just shouts that you don't know the basics.

hi you havent quoted what calliber your rifle is and bullet your useing . / i seen alot of things missed at close range due to people shooting over them .

Assuming something like a .222 or .223, then if you're zeroed at 100, you shouldn't be more than half an inch low at 50. Assuming there's nothing wrong with your set up, this should be fine - unless you're taking head shots sideways on off sticks or free hand, when it there's a bit of a risk you're missing under.

I just went through all this, from the exact same starting point (foxes missed at 50 yards). It turned out to be a combination of a loose scope ring and my own errors.

As stated mate if you had been pointing at the fox properly you would not have missed him,also as said assuming no outside factors,I will assume you were shooting from sticks?What I would do is give the rifle/scope a good check over ensuring all is as it should be,then go and check your zero@100yds,from bipod/bag,assuming all is ok,get on the sticks and practice at some targets at various ranges from say 30-150 yards,all I would do for the targets is draw a 3" circle on some cardboard ect and shade it in,remember you are not taking part in a competition here,just making sure you can put your bullets in the circle at your ranges you are confident at,dont take too long over the shot when you are on target,squeeze off and ensure good follow through,good luck.