Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knife Sharpening - Cut Fingers

knife Sharpening - Cut Fingers

I have a Wenger knife sharpener which being honest does a great job.

Holding the knife in my left hand the V of the sharpener locates and a good strike downwards with the right hand and its happy days.

However foolishly allowing myself to be distracted by my boy and thinking id located it a forcefull downward stroke and my finger looks like a burst sausage on a bbq.

Two daughters and little boy in tears im reassuring them whilst thinking about uncut venison not making it to freezer before heading off to hospital...

Anyway just thought id ask if anybody else found themselves making a hash of it whilst distracted
    Last edited by pheasant sniper 1; 22-04-2013 at 23:45.
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    There is a definition

ohnosecond

The fraction of time it takes to realize you've just goofed; for example, right after you look at your boy and realize you you should be concentrating on your fingers when sharpening your knife.
    Another great example is that moment of horror when you see the key in the ignition switch just as you're slamming the car door shut.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Attachment 27387

Concentration Terry easy mistake to make it is not until you loose them you wish you still had them . Here is one a mate of mine done last year with a chop saw only concentration thing again, still has his hand but problems wiping his butt and picking his nose.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Attachment 27387

Concentration Terry easy mistake to make it is not until you loose them you wish you still had them . Here is one a mate of mine done last year with a chop saw only concentration thing again, still has his hand but problems wiping his butt and picking his nose.
    Holy Sh*t thats right up there with the worst of them ive seen..

Fortunately mine was nothing on that just a real deep cut down to the bone..

The kids were in a rite state bless them until Grandad turned up and i was off to hospital.

My dad was eating cheese and cutting chunks off with a small but very pointy knife. He was lay on the couch using the rise of his stomach as a table/cheeseboard, watching Manchester utd playing some German team or another. He's not a utd fan at all but it was the game they won the treble any way when they scored he forgot he had the knife on his stomach, jumped up with excitement and stabbed himself by accident of course.
    ​Luckily he just pulled it out without too much injury and carried on watching the game.
    Soon to be the latest member of the 20cal club.

It all works out in the end and if it hasn't worked out well it isn't the end!

Waiting for this one to grow in entries! I know we are all pretty careful with knives since we keep them razor sharp but if using them every day its bound to get you.
    My accident happened after I had just whittled a new handle for my dads old kitchen knife (the dog got hold of the one previous). Everything was fine until I came to cleaning it. Usually hold the cloth in my fingers and press the back of the blade into it and pull through like I have done thousands of times before. In a lapse of concentration I pushed in blade first and pulled and so started the fast and steady drip of claret from my thumb. Its the after thought of how I could be such an eedjit that gets me the most.

Peeling skin off a salami with a stalking knife (already pretty stupid). Someone asked me a question from behind. Turned round to answer while continuing to peel... Makes quite an impressive scar all along my thumb.

There you are see !
    If you had all got DMQ Level 2 you would have learnt how to handle knives properly and either done a proper job (fingers on the floor! ) or not cut yourselves at all !
    When I was very small, before DMQ's were invented, I cut my left index finger but was frightened to tell my mother because she would have told my father, then I would have been in trouble,. not for having a knife but for not using it properly !
    As a result of my 'home learnt doctors skills, I now have an index finger like a corkscrew

As somebody's mentioned scars i thought we would be getting a few pictures up..

After WS post i dont think its needed

i managed to shut my finger in a clasp knife ,whilst holding a terrier in the other hand at the same time ,the terrier bit my hand, i still have a dislike for non locking knives,and think the non locking knives should be the ones made ilegal ,the law makers at the time should all have had a jack knife snapped on there pinkies to clear there heads and help them consider the advantage of a locking device on a knife.