Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comb raiser

Comb raiser

After attending the best practice day at bassenthwaite on Saturday and learning a few tricks about rifle fit etc, I've come to the conculsion that I need to fit a comb raiser to my rifle what was suggested was one made by hunters of England , a google search doesn't seem to find one so any help would be good on a good removable one . Having said that I'm open to suggestions as to weather a more permanent option would be a better option ie fitting a raising comb I have seen kits but was wondering what the cost would be for a professional job and if its a option for a standard tikka wood stock. Whilst realising the issue of the comb being low I'm sure it could be helped by using lower rings presently I'm using high optilocks and a 56 mill objective scope with a bushwhacker flip up lens cover which currently allows ten mill clearance between scope a my barrel would medium ring fit ? Which would drop scope height and mean less raise in the comb thanks Brian
    Last edited by swatty; 23-04-2013 at 13:57.

I use one of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BERETTA-6m...-/150892319203 Expensive for what it is but it's a magic wee thing!!
    Virtutis Gloria Merces

I've seen these but I imagine ill need to raise it more than 6 mil

I'd get some lower rings fitted first!

i'v got a blackhawk lance on one comes up around 3/4 to an inch used it on my ar15 if you fancy

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    After attending the best practice day at bassenthwaite on Saturday and learning a few tricks about rifle fit etc, I've come to the conculsion that I need to fit a comb raiser to my rifle what was suggested was one made by hunters of England , a google search doesn't seem to find one so any help would be good on a good removable one . Having said that I'm open to suggestions as to weather a more permanent option would be a better option ie fitting a raising comb I have seen kits but was wondering what the cost would be for a professional job and if its a option for a standard tikka wood stock. Whilst realising the issue of the comb being low I'm sure it could be helped by using lower rings presently I'm using high optilocks and a 56 mill objective scope with a bushwhacker flip up lens cover which currently allows ten mill clearance between scope a my barrel would medium ring fit ? Which would drop scope height and mean less raise in the comb thanks Brian
    Last edited by paul o'; 23-04-2013 at 15:26.

I would think of getting your scope down as close as possible first but using the lowest rings that you can get away with.

Then have you though of trying something like one of these http://www.shotgun-store.co.uk/rubbe...ptions-7-p.asp held in place by something like this http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.p...14&ClassID=250 and fine double sided sticky tape. That is what I have done on my over and under rifle to align my eye with the scope when that is fitted. The comb raiser is then quickly and easily removed when I want to revert to open sights.

Attachment 27394
    Last edited by 8x57; 23-04-2013 at 15:51.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I just build up to the height you require with foam padding then taped(insulation) in place and covered with a neoprene(beartooth) stock cover....

Swatty, all sound advice thus far, I used some pipe insulation (grey) from B&Q, then gaffer taped it, cheap as nuts, and does the job as can be seen on page 96 of April's edition of sporting gun!! a fine figure of a stalker would you not say!!

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    i'v got a blackhawk lance on one comes up around 3/4 to an inch used it on my ar15 if you fancy
    When I had a scope set up a little high I used one of these and theyre good.

Ive got the correct rings now though
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

agree feller my AR hand a carry handle & with scope fitted its was a must to get a sight pic at long range,the next one i had made was m4 shorty flat top so raiser came off and this is why it can go if someone needs it and it cheaper than a set of rings when you think of it mty
    atb
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    When I had a scope set up a little high I used one of these and theyre good.

Ive got the correct rings now though