Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any ideas for this leather sheath

Cool any ideas for this leather sheath

Ive dug out my late fathers knife, now I want to use it but!! Its a tad slack for holding the knife and I would like a better belt loop design.... A huge bonus would be using the original sheath and improving it. Any suggestions?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130424_192827.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	27478

Name:	20130424_192818.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	309.5 KB 
ID:	27479

Name:	20130424_192802.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	296.4 KB 
ID:	27480

nutty

Easy enough to remove the original loop & either add a fixed belt loop similar to the F~S knife scabbard, or add a fixed loop lower down the existing scabbard body, so that the upper of the new loop is about the same length as the knife handle, or slightly shorter

http://www.mooreleather.co.uk/scabba...ykes-scabbards

I like the Finnish knives, but never been a fan of the little metal connector that keeps the sheath & loop together

This is a traditional Nordic sheath. I am an amature leather worker and my idea would be to glue a thin piece of leather in the throat of the sheath to tighten it up. The belt loop thing is more tricky , I would make or have made a belt loop part which would have a split lower part that would straddle the existing seem and would be able to be riveted in place using two flat headed copper rivets (as stitching would be v tricky).
    I hope my description makes sense , would be better to draw it!

george

Make a new one sympathetic to original but that addresses the poor knife retention issue/s.

This way you can easily pimp it with multiple carry options during construction and with 100% handsewn assembly.

K

Quote Originally Posted by saddler View Post
    Easy enough to remove the original loop & either add a fixed belt loop similar to the F~S knife scabbard, or add a fixed loop lower down the existing scabbard body, so that the upper of the new loop is about the same length as the knife handle, or slightly shorter

http://www.mooreleather.co.uk/scabba...ykes-scabbards

I like the Finnish knives, but never been a fan of the little metal connector that keeps the sheath & loop together
    I like the idea of a belt loop further down the scabbard.

Nutty

Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    This is a traditional Nordic sheath. I am an amature leather worker and my idea would be to glue a thin piece of leather in the throat of the sheath to tighten it up. The belt loop thing is more tricky , I would make or have made a belt loop part which would have a split lower part that would straddle the existing seem and would be able to be riveted in place using two flat headed copper rivets (as stitching would be v tricky).
    I hope my description makes sense , would be better to draw it!

george
    I can see your thinking. And like saddlers suggestion it appeals.

Nutty

I'm with klenchblaze on that, keeps your old man's in tact/sentimental. Is the loop like that to allow you to sit etc - not rigid and dig back in to you.

To get the sheath to tighten up a bit, try soaking it in warm water, place the knife in the sheath and let it dry slowly. When the leather is dry you will have to feed it with something like dubbin

Quote Originally Posted by rem284 View Post
    To get the sheath to tighten up a bit, try soaking it in warm water, place the knife in the sheath and let it dry slowly. When the leather is dry you will have to feed it with something like dubbin
    ...& you'll have turned the knife into a rusty mess