Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: primer or rifle

primer or rifle

Hi hope i find you all well.

Im new to reloading only fired 50 rounds of my home loads so far. I have had probably 7 or 8 rounds that have not fired first go. Most have gone after cocking the rifle and firing again but have had a couple that just didnt want to go. I have pulled these and put them through the rifle again with no powder or bullet and the primers have gone off first go.

Any ideas gratefully received. Have lost confidence in my homeloads doing the job when needed

Regards pete

Sorry should probably be titled primer rifle or me
    Last edited by pj1; 25-04-2013 at 20:18. Reason: general ignorance

strip rifle and check head of firing pin for damage then try new box of primers these may be contaminated or faulty if it still persists take to a smith as they can check spring tension ect... have you uniformed the primer pockets at all

kris

Hi kris. Not done anything to the primer pockets. Im using cci large rifle primers and winchester brass. Just loaded 10 primers only and they all went off fine. Dent in primer looks to be the same depth. Some are as near dead centre as you could shake a stick at others are nearer the edge. The dent looks quite rough.

Not sure if any of this is relevent but hope that more info is best

Attachment 27484Attachment 27485Attachment 27486
    three primer only fired. dont understand how the point of impact can move that much or is this normal

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    three primer only fired. dont understand how the point of impact can move that much or is this normal
    The point of impact doesn't change, but it's not in the centre of the primer. If you apply an index mark to the edge of the case head next to the 'W' with a marker pen or similar and chamber each round with the mark at 12 o'clock, the primer impact will be in the same position relative to the index mark. Primer 3 has I suspect been struck twice with the case being re-chambered between primer strikes. Regards JCS

Hi jcs. Yes the firing pin strikes at the 12o clock positionbut the third primers seems more central and is definatly only been struck the once. These three are what i have loaded this evening with just primers to try.

agreed they do look rough id strip the bolt and give it a good clean maybe some brass shavings on the face of bolt are causing the rough appearence on primer i think the misfires are due to a contaminated batch of primers try a different box im sure they will function as normal

kris

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    Hi jcs. Yes the firing pin strikes at the 12o clock positionbut the third primers seems more central and is definatly only been struck the once. These three are what i have loaded this evening with just primers to try.
    You've taken excellent photos of the primers, how about posting photos of the bolt face showing the firing pin in both the cocked and fired positions? Thanks JCS

Oh well if you insist it will have to be a trip to the gun shop. You know what a hardship these trips can be

Will do jcs. Give us a mo to get the old steam powered lap top fired up and i will be with you