Thread: Can I thread a .243 styer to fit a mod?

Can I thread a .243 styer to fit a mod?

Can I get a styer .243 threaded? I have just read it will affect the proof? Can any tell me if this Is true?

Welcome to the grey area of firearms law!
    if you have it screwcut and sell it it will be out of proof and you will be breaking the law on selling unproofed rifle you can happily get it cut and use it out of proof yourself though

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebe View Post
    Can I get a styer .243 threaded? I have just read it will affect the proof? Can any tell me if this Is true?
    you can get it threaded and re proofed if you wish,

use a good rifle smith and it should not need reproofing.(its not law as yet to have it re proofed anyway)

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

it needs to be in proof when you sell it .

from what i understand of it, at the moment you dont need to reproof, but i think the issue is when you come to sell the rifle on.
    I asked a local gun smith this question, he said your more then welcome to have to barrel reproofed but it would cost around 100.00, so i throught better of it.
    But more importanly had said that screw cutting doesnt really have a major effect on the barrel, as the pressures and forces at the muzzle of the barrel arent enough to cause damage.
    atb
    simon

This has been done to death and the Met Police and the London proof house took Joe Beatham of Gunshop East Barnet to court over this and lost. It was proved that the pressure at the muzzle has dropped to such an extent that even a thread cut into the barrel there does not materially weaken it.

Of course this judgement did not suit the proof house who can see lost revenue so they still try to insist they require proofing. It's got nowt to do with safety but a lot to do with income.

So in law it does not nee re-proofing .................................................. ... simples .

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    This has been done to death and the Met Police and the London proof house took Joe Beatham of Gunshop East Barnet to court over this and lost. It was proved that the pressure at the muzzle has dropped to such an extent that even a thread cut into the barrel there does not materially weaken it.

Of course this judgement did not suit the proof house who can see lost revenue so they still try to insist they require proofing. It's got nowt to do with safety but a lot to do with income.

So in law it does not nee re-proofing .................................................. ... simples .
    Got to agree with BH, as said in my initial post,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I would recommend speaking to Wallace at Rifle Barrel Threading from Turnright Galloway

He is a personal friend, and his work ethics and quality are second to none when it comes to threading.

A lot of manufacturers and well respected dealers use him for factory stuff, and he does considerably work for BR Reflex etc.

I have seen him thread some very difficult to do rifles, and in particular a very expensive hand made German stutzen the owner was very worried about fitting a mod to initially. When Wallace had finished with it, it looked like the factory had made it that way.

He is also now developing his own rifle stuff, and is a good man to know! His compensators look like a jeweler has made them.

I once needed a part machining for my XC race bike and i was actually resigned to the fact i would miss an event and have to send it away.

Wallace constructed it by hand, and even made me a tool to fit it while i was there out of wood, which to this day works a treat and had a bike mechanic look at it like it was Gollums ring in terms of workmanship!
    Last edited by Scott Country; 26-04-2013 at 14:48. Reason: typo

as others have better put it my 2p would be just get it screw cut by someone who is good and enjoy your shooting ,no laws at this time says you must send off to proof house ,
    Last edited by paul o'; 26-04-2013 at 15:02.

Ok, thank you all for your responses, feels like I have kicked a hornets nest of grey area! Appreciate all your comments.