Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much?

Too much?

Right, I have sold the .243 and made my mind up on my next calibre and make of rifle I wish to get it in. But there is a slight hitch, the rifle is no longer made in said calibre. I have located a second hand one not to far away from me but don't like the stock. The shop have said I can have the barrel, bolt and face on its own and find my own stock and they will also re screwcut to suit my t12 thread. Now the question I have is this barrel has 'had less than 500' rounds through it, you can safely say its not far off the 500 mark from that statement, is this too many and should I look for another barrel? I have refrained from naming rifle maker and calibre to prevent this turning into a different debate/slagging session... Any help or advice would be appreciated.

​regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Different calibres tend to have different barrel lives, so might depend on the calibre of the rifle? Also would depend on what loads put through it but you'll never really know that unless buying from someone who you really trust and has had the rifle from new.

Depends on how old it is? If they say less than 500 I would of said its close to 500 in that case. Any chance on testing it before you buy to see how it shoots? Or bore scoping it?

if it's a 7mm RUM then the barrel could be half shagged whereas if it's a 308 it's barely run in?

Quote Originally Posted by kip270 View Post
    Depends on how old it is? If they say less than 500 I would of said its close to 500 in that case. Any chance on testing it before you buy to see how it shoots? Or bore scoping it?

I would agree with the above - if you can test it - perfect! If not - I wouldn't be too concerned about 500 rounds unless you know something of it being run with hot loads in a previous owners hands - I don't know of a calibre that would be shot out at anywhere near that amount of rounds if run on factory rounds/standard load reloads.

regards,
    ​Gixer

It's 25-06! There ive said it! Waiting for the 'why do you want that get this' ....
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Quote Originally Posted by straightbetweentheeyes View Post
    It's 25-06! There ive said it! Waiting for the 'why do you want that get this' ....
    great calibre and if the barrels been looked after then no worries at 500rds (poor or no cleaning destroys more barrels than get shot out)

Ah you'd be better off with a .........

Good choice. 500 rounds shouldnt pose a problem if its been looked after OK.

Nutty

I brought one of the big barrel burners, a 243WSSM, the lad before me had been running 58gners at 4000fps thought it, and he said he had shot 400 rounds. I brought it at the right price with the mind that it needed a re-barrel. Once brought I had it bore scoped and it had hardly any throat erosion.

So 500 out of a 25-06 could be OK.

Get it checked by somebody who does not do re-barrelling.

ATB

Tahr