Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives

Knives

Ive just sold a nice knife but was a folder which I wanted to replace with a fixed blade.

What is a nice knife, Ive been looking at the Fallkniven F1 that Ive seen for a good price second hand but new but not sure about the convex blade and what is needed to keep it sharp. Ive got some good whetstones for my kitchen knives that I also use for my Mora Companion but I dont think they are suitable for this kind of edge.

Ive also been looking at some of the Helle range...
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

if i was to buy a knife it would be the number 4 in this lineup i have used one of these and they stay super sharp go in the dishwasher and are easy to keep on top of well worth it ,slim blade as well for doing atlas or anal cannal, atb wayne
    Elen Hunting & Importing Inc.: Rebeco Series Full Tang Stag Handle Knives

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

As a knife collector and amateur maker i've had a fair few F1 over the years, steer well clear if you intend on using it as a hunting knife!
    It will work as any peice of steel with an edge will but is about as far from ideal as you can get.
    Its incredibly thick, heavy and the grind (mainly due to its thickness) fairly unsuitable.

Go for something with either a hollow ground or full flat with micro convex and a manmade handle and you won't go far wrong.
    If however you want a knife for camping and playing in the woods or just for something well made and robust to have go for it, they are good factory knives for what they were designed for - a survival knife.

​Will

Quote Originally Posted by jungle_re View Post
    As a knife collector and amateur maker i've had a fair few F1 over the years, steer well clear if you intend on using it as a hunting knife!
    It will work as any peice of steel with an edge will but is about as far from ideal as you can get.
    Its incredibly thick, heavy and the grind (mainly due to its thickness) fairly unsuitable.

Go for something with either a hollow ground or full flat with micro convex and a manmade handle and you won't go far wrong.
    If however you want a knife for camping and playing in the woods or just for something well made and robust to have go for it, they are good factory knives for what they were designed for - a survival knife.

​Will
    Perfect, thanks.

What is a good knife for the 60-80 mark?
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    bk

I bought a Fallkniven WM1 in 3G steel (http://www.fallkniven.com/en/shop/de...-knives/wm1z3g) from another member on this site.

I have to say that I've found it excellent on roe and muntjac, though I wouldn't want to use it on anything bigger if I was going to cut the sternum.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

BK

I use a custom F1 that I bought of Roch on this site. Best knife I have to be honest. I use it on everything from roe to red, even use it to open the sternum if I am field dressing the reds. I use a Gatco Pro sharpening kit and a strop from Saddler, also from this site, and the thing is very,very sharp. In fact I used it last night on 2 roe and would not hesitate to recommend it as a hunting knife.

David

Thanks for the info

what makes it custom?
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

I recently got a Kershaw Deerhunter, which seems lovely. They can be hard to find though as seemingly no longer made by Kershaw.

​Don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post

what makes it custom?
    They can be bought as a bare blade for "custom" builders.

Neil.

Iv had an F1 for Years , one of the best knives I’v ever owned for the price and versatility . However It’s a bushcraft and survival knife, Its not an out and out deer knife. Don’t get me wrong It will do the job with bells on but You will have to get used to the thickness of the blade. If you are looking at a Fallkniven just for dear or hunting go for the H series knives. Like most things from Sweden they do exactly what they are designed to do. And a survival knife will do just that , as will a hunting knife. Hope that helps.