Knives

bk

Ive just sold a nice knife but was a folder which I wanted to replace with a fixed blade.

What is a nice knife, Ive been looking at the Fallkniven F1 that Ive seen for a good price second hand but new but not sure about the convex blade and what is needed to keep it sharp. Ive got some good whetstones for my kitchen knives that I also use for my Mora Companion but I dont think they are suitable for this kind of edge.

Ive also been looking at some of the Helle range...

As a knife collector and amateur maker i've had a fair few F1 over the years, steer well clear if you intend on using it as a hunting knife!
It will work as any peice of steel with an edge will but is about as far from ideal as you can get.
Its incredibly thick, heavy and the grind (mainly due to its thickness) fairly unsuitable.

Go for something with either a hollow ground or full flat with micro convex and a manmade handle and you won't go far wrong.
If however you want a knife for camping and playing in the woods or just for something well made and robust to have go for it, they are good factory knives for what they were designed for - a survival knife.

​Will

As a knife collector and amateur maker i've had a fair few F1 over the years, steer well clear if you intend on using it as a hunting knife!
It will work as any peice of steel with an edge will but is about as far from ideal as you can get.
Its incredibly thick, heavy and the grind (mainly due to its thickness) fairly unsuitable.

Go for something with either a hollow ground or full flat with micro convex and a manmade handle and you won't go far wrong.
If however you want a knife for camping and playing in the woods or just for something well made and robust to have go for it, they are good factory knives for what they were designed for - a survival knife.

​Will

Perfect, thanks.

What is a good knife for the £60-80 mark?

BK

I use a custom F1 that I bought of Roch on this site. Best knife I have to be honest. I use it on everything from roe to red, even use it to open the sternum if I am field dressing the reds. I use a Gatco Pro sharpening kit and a strop from Saddler, also from this site, and the thing is very,very sharp. In fact I used it last night on 2 roe and would not hesitate to recommend it as a hunting knife.

David

I recently got a Kershaw Deerhunter, which seems lovely. They can be hard to find though as seemingly no longer made by Kershaw.

​Don't know why.

Iv had an F1 for Years , one of the best knives I’v ever owned for the price and versatility . However It’s a bushcraft and survival knife, Its not an out and out deer knife. Don’t get me wrong It will do the job with bells on but You will have to get used to the thickness of the blade. If you are looking at a Fallkniven just for dear or hunting go for the H series knives. Like most things from Sweden they do exactly what they are designed to do. And a survival knife will do just that , as will a hunting knife. Hope that helps.

42 knives later I am still looking for the perfect knife, ( so I keep telling the wife) best knife I have found for deer is the ibberson admiltary knife, basic but a lovely knife to handle.

Right,

I know what a flat grind is.
I know what a convex grind is.
What is a saber grind, hollow grind and a scandi grind. :doh:

I might just buy an opinel and have done with it!

Bk, your Mora companion has a scandi grind. If you are happy with sharpening that on your whetstones, you could consider the Enzo Trapper 115...

Bk this is my enzo trapper 115 in s3027c steel (I think - its stainless anyway !) my main knife .
Its fantastic and deals with all sizes of game nicely. I bought the naked blade and handled it myself with hawthorn .

All in cost was £60 inc the sheath I had made .
Its a beast of a knife

Bk this is my enzo trapper 115 in s3027c steel (I think - its stainless anyway !) my main knife .
Its fantastic and deals with all sizes of game nicely. I bought the naked blade and handled it myself with hawthorn .

All in cost was £60 inc the sheath I had made .
Its a beast of a knife

​that I like.

get in touch with chickenman he got me an enzo trapper blade then i got a handle on it best knife for little money

Back