Best grain for 243 1 in 9.5 twist

KB1

I have a Riflecraft 243 (semi custom remi 700). The twist is 1 in 9.5. What's the best grain for this? Also, can anyone recommend some decent brands, looking to bulk purchase shortly.

​Cheers

I have a Riflecraft 243 (semi custom remi 700). The twist is 1 in 9.5. What's the best grain for this? Also, can anyone recommend some decent brands, looking to bulk purchase shortly.

​Cheers
The easy answer mate, is try a few and see what it likes,at that twist it should be ok with the heavier bullets,for my money you cant beat Sierra,80grain blitz,85grain hpbt,and the 100grain prohunter and gamekings are all excellent deer bullets,I am assuming you are looking to reload? if not try and get hold of some 105 grain rws gecko also a good all round bullet.

Or better still, give Rifle Craft a ring and ask what they recommend.
They are very helpful and will certainly have the best answer.
I personaly recommend 85spt or 87Hpt and found they were good for everything.

Last edited:
checked with riflecraft. they recommended 70-90 grain. Can anyone give me a decent choice of brands for this grain, will look to buy some in bulk.

what is the intended use for bullets fox crow or deer! choice hp bt sp some more info feller then you will prob get a result and load data

Sierra 85 grain hpbt im finding it a cracking bullet also loading 87 g vmax , used the nosler 90 bt but are a tad expensive side

Just in case you missed my post at No3 here is the bullet I was referring to when I said they were good for everything
.243 87 gr BTHP Hornady # 2442

Last edited:
what is the intended use for bullets fox crow or deer! choice hp bt sp some more info feller then you will prob get a result and load data

mainly deer but also fox (when i get the chance), out to 200yds

Just in case you missed my post at No3 here is the bullet I was referring to when I said they were good for everything
.243 87 gr BTHP Hornady # 2442

cheers for that. second person who has mentioned the Hornady 87g. will definately give these a try

anyone know where i can pick up Hornady, near S.London? Or have them delivered to a FA dealer in London?

​Cheers

Federal Premium 85 Grain sierra Gameking bthp, used this for years out my 243 without any probs. good on roe, or fox for that matter out to a decent distance.

​George.

The easy answer mate, is try a few and see what it likes,at that twist it should be ok with the heavier bullets,for my money you cant beat Sierra,80grain blitz,85grain hpbt,and the 100grain prohunter and gamekings are all excellent deer bullets,I am assuming you are looking to reload? if not try and get hold of some 105 grain rws gecko also a good all round bullet.
hi+one 80grain sierra spbt

Back