Thread: Deer in the snow

Deer in the snow

We had some pretty impressive snow recently, in fact I've never seen anything like it in my lifetime, and I was able to pick up my trail camera yesterday and thought some folks might be interested in the photos.

The snow fell around the evening of 21st March which was the evening of the day I positioned the camera. I'd never tried it in this location before and so didn't know what to expect. After the snow it didn't take a single photo for about a fortnight. During this time daytime temperatures were getting well up above freezing and so a thaw was taking place. So, there is already 2 weeks of daytime thaw by the time the first photo was taken. As you can see it was a photo of a hare. It is possible that the camera was under the snow for some part of that time and that it didn't get uncovered until the thaw was well under way but I think it more likely that the conditions were just so bad that all animals were lying up in shelter as best they could:

After the hare had been around for a while then foxes started appearing. You can see that there is a significant difference in the depth of the snow between this and the hare photo and also that the branches on the trees are starting to spring back:

It wasn't until the snow was totally cleared that I got my first photos of deer, I've no idea where they were for the best part of a month. This photo gives a good idea of the depth of the snow as I'd say these deer would have been covered by the snow in the first photo. It also looks like the smaller deer is in very bad condition indeed.

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

I have a couple of cams to lift myself that have been in situ for a few weeks now looking forward to retrieving them, in fact using the cameras has/can become very addictive(a bit like lobster fishing checking the creels to reveal the catch was fantastic... this for me is their replacement therapy lol) in itself as you never know what will show up in the frame.That snow sure was bad in places and as you mention the deer did a vanishing act for the most part. I hope to get a few good shots myself when I finally collect the cameras from the field, yea that little fellow in your last picture looks in poor condition alright hopefully he makes it to better forage when we finally get some growth on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by dlz90 View Post
    that little fellow in your last picture looks in poor condition alright hopefully he makes it to better forage when we finally get some growth on the ground.
    We still have very little growth - I'd say the growth I'm seeing now is at about the same level as we saw at the end of February last year and the forecast is for snow again tonight, though not much of it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/