Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer legel bullets for .243

Deer legel bullets for .243

I did my DSC1 the other week and found the ballistics bit really interesting but having readone or two threads on here am somewhat confused. From what we were told on the course to shoot a .243 legally for all deer in England basically you need to use a 100 grain bullet because it is practically impossible to get the required muzzle energy from a lighter bullet. Yet on several threads people are telling of shooting fallow etc with 80 grain bullets?

Yours confused Kieran

.243 87 gr BTHP Hornady # 2442 will push out fast enough to give the required energy to drop anything.
    Last edited by EMcC; 26-04-2013 at 18:18.

Basically if they tell you 100 grain is need they are covering their behinds should you venture north of the boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by 1066kieran View Post
    I did my DSC1 the other week and found the ballistics bit really interesting but having readone or two threads on here am somewhat confused. From what we were told on the course to shoot a .243 legally for all deer in England basically you need to use a 100 grain bullet because it is practically impossible to get the required muzzle energy from a lighter bullet. Yet on several threads people are telling of shooting fallow etc with 80 grain bullets?

Yours confused Kieran
    In England satisfactory ME & MV can be achieved by both 90grn & 95grn bullets in .243. In Scotland the minimum weight is indeed 100grn. atb Tim

Quote Originally Posted by timbrayford View Post
    In England satisfactory ME & MV can be achieved by both 90grn & 95grn bullets in .243. In Scotland the minimum weight is indeed 100grn. atb Tim

yep, it is...for Reds....its 50Gr for Roe....

From BASC....

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.
    For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
    Northern Ireland

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.
    For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
    Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.
    For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.
    It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.
    For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.
    To ensure safe and humane shooting, stalkers must practise and maintain their skill with the rifle and must check at regular intervals that their rifle is still zeroed correctly - i.e. that the bullet is striking a selected point of aim at a chosen range.
    The rifle must ALWAYS be test-fired, and the zero verified or corrected, after a knock or other impact, or after any unaccountably wild shot. No one should continue stalking in such a case, until this zeroing (or sighting-in) has been done.

Yes that is my understanding however the bullets need to be pushed at "ridiculous " speeds.

On paper (according to their website) the 80 grain Federal Power Shoks outperform the 100 grains for MV, ME and down range energy and have a slightly flatter trajectory all meeting the legal requirements for England and Wales.

When I had my .222 I used 55gr rounds for Roe and fox, now on a .243, I use 100Gr for the very rare red I shoot, 90gr for Roe, and 55gr for Fox and Roe.

As anyone ever been asked or let alone questioned by the police, on the weight and speed of a 243 bullet, the only people who seem to care are the self appointed deer police.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    .243 87 gr BTHP Hornady # 2442 will push out fast enough to give the required energy to drop anything.
    The fly in the ointment is that this bullet, and many of the other lightweight .243 bullets are advertised for 'varmint' shooting use. It's also a bit more difficult to meet minimum muzzle energy (where this is required) with the .243 lightweights due to the bias of bullet weight in the calculation of ME.

Others who've had lots of experience will see this differently, but I only use .243 (min. 100gr) for Roe only. If Fallow, then it's 6.5mm minimum. That's just a rule I stick to as I've got too many doubts about .243 ammo suitability.

http://www.hornady.com/store/6mm-.243-87-gr-BTHP/

http://www.hornady.com/store/searcha...B%5D=&x=34&y=9
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.