Ammunition storage.

MJ75

Does anyone if the safes sold at B and Q (Theor own brand) are suitable for keeping ammunition in if it's bolted to a supporting wall?

Thanks in advance.
MJ

Suggest you're better off posing the question to your firearms department as they are the ones who will eventually decide whether to give it the thumbs-up - but I'd be very interested to knowwhat they say.

i store mine in a £20 wall mounted electronic safe bought from robert dyas, many others sold specifically for ammo storage for about £60 are exactly the same.

A friend of mine keeps the spare keys to his cabinet in just such a safe. The FEO was happy with that. That was for shotguns tho not centrefire.

I do have a dedicated ammo safe bolted to the rafters but I find the best place to keep my spare ammo is in my pocket. The FLO never thought to look there :lol:

mark

The Mole said:
Suggest you're better off posing the question to your firearms department as they are the ones who will eventually decide whether to give it the thumbs-up - but I'd be very interested to knowwhat they say.

Hi, I spoke to South Yorkshire fire arms licensing department who advised these are acceptable so long as they are fitted securely in an appropriate place.

MJ

cheshire said ours was good enough, i think it was about 30quid frm B&Q, its bolted to the floor and wall in a very secret place :) :)

ammunition security

Even a cash box of the sort you might find in your local shop / office is considered o.k. for rifle bolts to be considered as separated, when in the main safe. I use ex military ammunition cans drilled crossways & fitted with a through bolt which is then padlocked for reloaded stuff.

I have two one for bolts one for ammo and wilts police were over the moon. Don't go buying one marked up as an ammo safe for £60+ the £20 quid ones are just as good.

As others have already said its best to ask your own FEO, but mine(Derbyshire) told me that an army surplus ammo box with a padlock on it is sufficent.(which quite surprised me to be honest) so i would of thought a safe locked and bolted to a wall would be more than adequate.

ammo storage

I fixed an old sustained fire linkbox to the load bed of the Landrover for temp travel storage of bits & pieces such as gralloching knives etc;

Back