Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping

Shipping

Can some please advise me on what the total cost i am likely to face, to get stuff back from SA.

I am only shooting a trophy warthog and springbok, and taking the tusks back in my hold luggage. I want to get the springbok shoulder mounted. What sort of cost am I looking at to get it sent back to the UK, including any tax's, etc i may incur..

I was also thinking that it may be easier to just buy a couple of animal hides while i am out there and bring them back in my hold luggage. Not the same as using your own ones i know, but it should be cheaper? and not have a bullet hole in it. Can this be done?

Cheers, Tom

Hi Tom, I bought the hides from the taxidermist when out there except for a Wildebeste that i shot. Put them in siutcase no problem. i had my Bushbuck shoulder mounted and 3 other animals skull mounted. The cost of the shoulder mount was about 200 the skull mounts about 30 each I think. I shared the shipping with a mate and my side of the costs came to over 400. If I can find the original docs. I will scan and send to you. Who and were are you hunting with?
    Tusker.

Quote Originally Posted by tusker View Post
    Hi Tom, I bought the hides from the taxidermist when out there except for a Wildebeste that i shot. Put them in siutcase no problem. i had my Bushbuck shoulder mounted and 3 other animals skull mounted. The cost of the shoulder mount was about 200 the skull mounts about 30 each I think. I shared the shipping with a mate and my side of the costs came to over 400. If I can find the original docs. I will scan and send to you. Who and were are you hunting with?
    Tusker.
    Hi Tusker,

Thanks for the reply. I thinks thats what i will do hide wise then, cheers.

I have quotes from a taxidermist on what the work will cost me as well as packaging. I was just wondering what I am looking at for flights, and import taxes, etc. Im hoping as it will only be a springbuck mount the cost will be fairly low..

I am hunting with Nduna Safaris. It my 1st trip to Africa with a friend in September, so cant wait!

​Tom

Hey Tom you gotta shoot one first lol .!
    Kind regards
    doug

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Hey Tom you gotta shoot one first lol .!
    Kind regards
    doug
    Don't worry about that Doug I'm a deer magnet, its Charles who will be pulling his hair out haha.

​Tom

To bring one trophy back is not cost viable really. It will cost around 450 to include flights, vets inspection, taxes and delivery to yourself in the UK.
    To give you an idea I recently brought back 13 heads in a crate weighing 250kg and that was 1400 from PE aiport to my house all in.
    Let me know if you need any help as I do this all the time.
    Thanks
    Adrian

If its only the springbok then why don't you just pop it in your suitcase too? Yeah its not quite kosher - but it will save you a bunch.

I've done this a couple of times - even with some quite big impala - its surprising they fit but they do - and no damage. Not sure about a springbok though - its more about the shape than the size.

The cape will be salt dried anyway so as long as you have a couple of days (been a while since I dried a skin in the bush so I can't remember how long it takes - days not weeks) you should be OK.

If I remember correctly they charge for air-freight on 'volumetric weight' - so it might cost you a disproportionate amount for just one skull - better shoot a few more to make it more economic! You know you want that kudu........

I was hoping to have the taxidermy work done out there, as they do it all the time so are more likely to do a better job than a taxidermist back here and also the taxidermy is cheaper out there.

Haha I would love to shoot a Kudu but being a student it is out of my spending limit.

Im a bit stuck then... its the only trophy animal i am going for other than a warthog so would like it mounted but the costs just seem to extreme!

​Tom

If you're strapped for cash you might want to think of just getting the skull cleaned and bleached and the flat (whole) skin dried. 2 trophies for the price of one! You can mount the skull yourself and get the skin tanned local to you. I have done this with wildebeest and its worked fine - many years later the skin is fine - no hair slip.

Taxidermy is generally cheaper in SA and is often good - but I have had one very bad experience. Made a terrible job of the mounts and 'lost' a Rowland Ward Grants gazelle. Not happy. If you keep it local you can (to an extent) control these things - or at least you have some recourse if things go bad.

I am off to Namibia on Thursday - just a little hunting and (hopefully) a few trophies - but no shoulder mounts, just skulls and flat skins - including a springbok. Never shot one.

I think that is going to be my best option unfortunately.. otherwise it is going to cost me x3 the cost of the animal to have work done and shipped back here.

​Im not aware of any UK tanning company's so may get the skull bleached and buy a few hides out there and stick it all in my suitcase.

Thanks for the help.

​Tom