Thread: Tikka M690 & M695 differences?

Tikka M690 & M695 differences?

What are the differences between these two models?

I know that they're the long action versions of the M590/M595, and have found reference to a derilium (sp?) bolt sleeve on the M690? What is this and what does it do? Why wasn't it used on the M695?

The M690 was earlier than the M695 right? What years were they produced?

I've found an M690 i'm interested in, so any info appreciated.

The 690 has a slot ejection port to the side of the action, the 695 has a port which is more open at the top.
    I think you refer to the plastic bush which sleeved the bolt in the action of the earlier M558 era Tikkas. These are not used in the later M590/595/690/695 models.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheesht! View Post
    What are the differences between these two models?

I know that they're the long action versions of the M590/M595, and have found reference to a derilium (sp?) bolt sleeve on the M690? What is this and what does it do? Why wasn't it used on the M695?

The M690 was earlier than the M695 right? What years were they produced?

I've found an M690 i'm interested in, so any info appreciated.
    The only Tikka model with a sleeved bolt - which I've actually seen - is the M65A sniper variant in .308. These were produced in the late 1980's, with a special M55 type column magazine, and had a weird stock formed from separate wood butt & cheekpiece sections connected to the action by a steel rod. Pretty hideous - so unmistakeable.

The M690 actions were produced from 1990 - 1995 (Serial Nos. 804755 - 883600 approximately). The 'slot' ejection port on these has been repeated on the T3. With this design it's not so easy to 'single load' rounds into the action as on the more open M695 action.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Grand, just the type of info I was after.

Thanks both.

Sinistral: i've read lot's of your posts on Tikkas and was hoping you'd reply. Anything else to add here? Known problems, peculiarities? Which would you own and why?

You're welcome.

I've got a dataset of pre' T3 Tikka rifle S/Nos, so can give you a good idea of the year. The S/No isn't readable on the YG site pic. I've got an M695 LH in this calibre, and rate it as it's a natural fit stock - much better than the T3 imo.

There's nothing much between the two actions - just the port cutout differs. The asking price is (to me) 100 too much, but there are no problems with the model. Check the RHS magazine catch for inadvertent release - this does affect some RH users.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    You're welcome.

I've got a dataset of pre' T3 Tikka rifle S/Nos, so can give you a good idea of the year.

Hi, I hate to dig up old threads but I would be very interested in the old serial numbers data sheet if you wouldn't mind sending it to me.

I've just acquired an M55 17 rem but cant find S/No to years made information. I also I need another old Tikka so my interest is growing daily

Regards,
    Jeremy

Hi Wheesht!, I have a very nice Tikka M695 in 6.5. Condition 9 ex 10 and am about to sell it to buy a Sauer Outback in same calibre. Can send some pics if you PM me.
    It's a classic rifle and I bought it off a chap giving up stalking (it was his baby). It shoots like a dream on Nosler 120 BTs. I promised the seller that I wouldn't thread the barrel and actually can't bring myself to do so.
    I do think 6.5 is a cracking calibre and would like to use it more - hence my switch to a Sauer.
    Open to offers if you plan to look after her. I hate selling rifles but both cabinets are already full and the wife would notice if I swapped one of the cabinets for a bigger one.

The thread is nearly 2 years old- I'm guessing he's bought something by now...

D'oh!
    Note to self - Pay more attention and don't assume that threads close to the top are new/active.
    No rush. Not in any hurry.
    Thanks

Tikka 695 in 6.5x55 cracking rifle and round hope it goes to a good home.
    If its hit its history / If its missed its a mystery

A gun is always loaded .A mule always kicks