Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ive been asked to shoot some canada geese on a farm for crop protection can i do this

ive been asked to shoot some canada geese on a farm for crop protection can i do this

ive been asked to shoot some canada geese on a farm for crop protection can i do this? and with a rifle

you need to go on basc website and get a general licence and all info on there 2

Canada geese are now classified as pests
    As they are quite an aggressive bird, it is thought that their presence can often scare and put pressure on existing wildfowl populations.Control

Shooting can be accomplished all year round under a general license, depending on the situation. Scaring can take place in rural locations but is normally only effective for short periods of time. Habitat adjustment can be undertaken with the relocation of nesting sites that can help in the reduction in breeding populations. Fencing around particular areas is another option around water areas or crops.or shooting and eatings a good way

Quote Originally Posted by gonefoxin View Post
    ive been asked to shoot some canada geese on a farm for crop protection can i do this? and with a rifle

Yes use a 22 for head shots if you want to eat them.

Are they any good to eat? We get loads of 'em round here but I don't put much effort into trying to shoot them as I thought they'd taste crap. They are a nuisance to farmers for sure

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    Are they any good to eat? We get loads of 'em round here but I don't put much effort into trying to shoot them as I thought they'd taste crap. They are a nuisance to farmers for sure
    After seeing the crap they normally eat around this way I wouldn't have one on my plate

try n shoot the smaller ones (young birds ) the big old birds taste rank
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post

try n shoot the smaller ones (young birds ) the big old birds taste rank

Depends what they've been feeding on, certainly don't always taste rank have eaten my fair share over the years.
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

The trick is to pick them up by the bottom beak, if it bends the bird should be young enough to eat well, if it snaps the bird is older and likely to be tough as old boots.

You will struggle to get close enough to shoot them with a .22, as they do the whole sentry thing. Watch them, identify the sentry birds and take them out but you will probably get one or two at a time. Or body shoot with a .223 from a further range.
    .308, because if I want to watch something run away, I'll take my dog for a walk.

As has been said, I think you'll struggle to get within .22LR range. I use a CF (.20 or .17) and shoot them at the base of the neck (it doesn't move any more than the body and leaves the meat intact).

Despite all the "received wisdom" to the contrary, I've only ever had one Canada that wasn't excellent eating: it failed the beak test but I thought I'd have a go anyway. After a couple of recipes turned out disappointingly/predictably, the remainder went into the mincer and became a more than passable "shepherd's" pie.

As a way of avoiding tough old birds, I've been advised when shooting geese flying in a flock to take the rearmost birds as they are likely to be the youngest but I haven't shot done anything like enough "proper" goose shooting to confirm this.