Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A well earned 6

A well earned 6

I picked up a new bit of ground about 8 months ago, just rabbits at first. I knew there were deer on there but there was, quite understandably trust to be earned from the landowner before things progressed any further. I've worked pretty hard clearing felled trees and was actually offered the 'upgrade' when I delivered some venison sausages i'd made with a bottle of plonk. He said there was another stalker on the ground but that we were both welcome.

I met the other stalker in the third week of March when I was out trapping moles on the ground. I wondered over to introduce myself as he was gearing up, having parked next to me & the reception was a little defensive, then frosty when I explained our situation. Anyway, without going into my own feelings on stalking does in the third week of March I honestly pointed out where i'd seen some earlier in the week & we swapped numbers after he'd given me a quick fire Q&A:

- How long have you been stalking
    - Do you have DSC?
    - Yes... 1 or 2?
    - Have you had many deer off here... (none)... I've had loads... dozens.
    - What caliber rifle do you use?

By this point i've already made up my mind on the bloke and thought it best to ring the farmer later that day, explain i'd met the other stalker and that we'd swapped numbers so that only one of us was on the ground at a time for safety's sake. I got the distinct impression the other bloke wasn't very popular but didn't press it & jokingly said he'd probably be round with a bottle later.

Anyway .... one month later (today) I phone to check it was ok to go round later this evening - all fine. A couple of hours later the farmer phone me back to say the other stalker had had the same idea about stalking this evening and had been round casting insinuations about my age / responsibility & that he wanted me kicked off the ground for safety reasons.... you can't have two stalkers sharing. He didn't quite get the result he wanted as the farmer said if you can't have two sharing sling your hook

So now partly due to my hard work, partly to the other bloke being a complete nob ive got a prime bit of ground to myself which brings me, eventually, onto tonights stalk.

08:10 I arrive - a lovely evening here in North Somerset, still, sunny, mild (ish) good midge weather as well as it turned out but whose complaining. At the neck of the first field I paused to have a good scan not expecing to see anything.. movement along the far treeline... characteristic of a buck doing a territory round from the naked eye and the confirmed with the bins. A nice 6 pointer moving towards me, probably heading for the gate i was now lying in so I pop the lense cover and follow him through the scope through the scrub. He's busy, fray - stamp - sniff, move, fray - stamp - sniff. At aroung 80 meters he puts his head up to nibble something and I take him in the neck and he crumples on the spot.

Well done, goes to show that if you look after your farmers, they'll look after you (most of the time)

Cracking buck matt just a shame the other stalker has lost his right to stalk even if he is a nob regards biker1
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Hi Biker - yeah a nice buck and my first deer off this ground. I've got no problem sharing ground but won't shed any tears over this bloke. His attitude was that he was doing the farmer a favour by shooting his deer and also stooped low enough to try and blacken my name to the farmer and get me kicked off after i'd been honest & friendly with him & worked for the sport as well. Boll0cks to him.

Well done. I can't stand that attitude so many stalkers seem to have in the UK. I've just got back from a few weeks in NZ and on a couple of occasions I had other guys recognise me as a fellow 'hunter' and come over to introduce themselves and offer very specific advice on where to find animals in their favourite spots. I can't help but think it would be nothing like that here if we had any public land to stalk on.

Well done mate - - a good result !

JR
    " not the end of the world, - - but you can see it from here ! "

Quote Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
    Cracking buck matt just a shame the other stalker has lost his right to stalk even if he is a nob regards biker1
    sorry but ive got to disagree, the blokes got everythng he deserves theres far too much back biting and jealousy goes on in the stalking world its very refreshing to see somebody punished for it, matt lovely buck and hopfully the first of many to come on your new ground! enjoy it mate

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1984 View Post
    sorry but ive got to disagree, the blokes got everythng he deserves theres far too much back biting and jealousy goes on in the stalking world its very refreshing to see somebody punished for it, matt lovely buck and hopfully the first of many to come on your new ground! enjoy it mate
    Wait till it happens to you ,I'll await that thread .the difference is how you handle another stalker ,laying the law down ...iffy .agreed nice buck but maybe one the other guy was leaving ! Who knows .the grounds yours now crackon and manage it how you wish with the farmers full consent .
    regards
    ​norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Wait till it happens to you ,I'll await that thread .the difference is how you handle another stalker ,laying the law down ...iffy .agreed nice buck but maybe one the other guy was leaving ! Who knows .the grounds yours now crackon and manage it how you wish with the farmers full consent .
    regards
    ​norma
    trust me ive had it before people spreading b******t rumours to try and get on my permission then denying it to my face , luckily ive hadd a good relationship with the landowner so it all worked out ok and ive kept all my permission, sorry but if youre going round backbiting and spreading rumour then you desreve all you get, all the best, jim

A lovely looking buck there chap.
    but I know where your coming from I have just lost a 200acre wood that is used as a archery club I got permission from the land owners but the club said no as they had a member who wonted to stalk the wood. so I went though all the trouble to get the wood and there member spread loads of crap about me to the club so he could shoot it talk about peed off.

​There can be far to much back stabbing by dishonest shooters.

Craig
    “Persistence. Perfection. Patience. Power. Prioritize your passion. It keeps you sane.”
    ― Criss Jami