Thread: Deer can see the IR from trail cameras :-)

Deer can see the IR from trail cameras :-)

I thought some might enjoy the following photos taken from my Bushnell trail camera. My camera (model ending 437C) has the "low glow" infrared flash but deer can see it if they look directly at it and some are spooked by it.

In these photos the camera has decided it is dark enough to require flash and to switch to black and white mode. The time is still on GMT and the location is pretty heavy forestry so it is quite dark in there. Anyhow, along comes a wee stag. Note how fast the camera triggers, with just his head in shot, this is the reason I like the Bushnell. You can also clearly see the reflection of the flash in his eye:

After feeding in front of the camera for a while, and not being bothered by the flash (probably because it is still pretty much daylight, they only seem really to notice it if they look directly at it) he decides to jump the wee ditch that is under the camera:

When the flash fires in his face he doesn't like it at all and goes back whence he came:

After his little surprise he feeds around in front of the camera for a while but he knows that something isn't right and he isn't for taking his eye off it. To be honest I'm surprised he hung around as, for the most part, they just run. I think maybe the fact that he is a wee stag is what has had him hanging around as he is thinking he might "take it on." I've had wee stags like this take me on as well, though the big ones have the sense just to run. You can see that he isn't in great condition and the lack of growth in the grass plus the recent deep snow seems to be hitting them hard in terms of condition.

For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

No doubt! I use NV for foxing and they are often looking at the IR sometimes from a great distance...

Foxes seem more curious whereas the sika seem to start avoiding the camera. I don't know how the less wary deer species might react to it but foxes seem to eventually get used to it and to be happy enough with it.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/