Thread: Any one on here make Purse nets

Any one on here make Purse nets

Anyone on here that is talented at pursnet making
    I am making some and using nylon and double knotting
    Every now and again one of them will have come undone and cant for the life of me understand how to reknot, when its part of the net
    If you have made a net you will know what i mean, many thanks
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    What about using a very small zip-tie?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I find that I only have that problem when I stop concentrating, or put the net down before I finish a complete row.
    If you notice before you've made too many more squares, it is better to undo a few, until you get back to the mistake, and redo it.
    If you dkn't notice until you are on the next row, put a spare mesh stick into the square before the mistake, through the loosely knotted one and into the next square. Pull tight, and then use another piece of string to tie above and below the knot.

Sounds long winded, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflehunting View Post
    Anyone on here that is talented at pursnet making
    I am making some and using nylon and double knotting
    Every now and again one of them will have come undone and cant for the life of me understand how to reknot, when its part of the net
    If you have made a net you will know what i mean, many thanks
    Have you tried using spun poly trufflehunting?
    I find it is much easier to stitch a net with.
    Nylon is "slippery" and unless you pay attention it does tend to either slip, or the carrick bend knot pulls down over the above mesh and only tightens on the bottom of the above mesh.
    Harder to describe in writing but hope you know what I mean.
    I also tend to pinch the two ends of the new mesh with my thumb and forefinger before casting my loop for the next knot and keep holding until its bedded down and pulled in snug.
    I have still slipped a few knots with spun poly but more down to lack of focus than anything else, its just a bugger when you find it two rows above, especially when tying a long net!!
    Spun poly is defo worth a go, you can get away with a single knot when using it too ( I still use a double as I find the little extra weight lies just that bit better on a windy day)
    If you search for "Agouti" supplies, he's a great source of net making materials and a good price etc.
    PM if your struggling
    Cheers
    Rb

PS, forgot to add, if I find a slipped knot, I either unpick or cut back and start again , you can put in a securing knot as a makeshift repair but my OCD gets the better of me and you can bet your bottom dollar, where there is a gap, or slipped knot, that'll be where the rabbit will bolt through. Its just a scunner when you find a loose one isn't it
    Last edited by rigboot; 28-04-2013 at 17:12. Reason: PS

google Mick Dadd , he will know

Thanks guys that gives me something to go on
    Rigboot, i dont like spun nylon, if its the stuff i am thinking about it is bulky and you can get less net in a pocket
    Regards
    TH
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe