Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hhmmn.

Hhmmn.

Gun Control Network -
    PRESS RELEASE 27 FEBRUARY 2013

TAXPAYERS SUBSIDISE GUN OWNERS TO THE TUNE OF £100 MILLION
    The terrible events of 1 January 2012 in which legal gun owner Michael Atherton murdered his partner, her sister and his niece, are about to be scrutinised again at the Inquest in Co. Durham on 3 March. The Gun Control Network has been working with the family and in particular with Bobby Turnbull, whose mum, sister and aunt were killed by Atherton with one of his legally owned shotguns. Bobby joined members of GCN at a meeting yesterday with Damien Green MP, Minister for Policing, to call for ‘real reforms’ of the gun licensing laws.

Gill Marshall-Andrews Chair of the Gun Control Network says:

‘It is not generally known that at least half of all gun deaths involve a shotgun - probably legally owned. It’s clear we need to tighten up the licensing of these weapons and ensure that people like Michael Atherton, with a history of domestic violence and alcohol abuse, can’t own a gun. Currently, the police do not have the resources to do a proper job of making sure someone is a suitable person to own a gun Gun owners pay only £50 for a licence which lasts for 5 years. So for £10 per year, around the price of 4 cups of coffee, a man can own as many shotguns as he likes. Gun ownership is a privilege that people should pay for – and there should be no element of subsidy from the taxpayer. Police estimate that the cost of issuing a licence is £200 which would mean that the current level of taxpayer subsidy is over £100m. With a more rigorous licensing regime this subsidy will rise even higher. GCN wants to see a fee of at least £250 for a firearms or shotgun licence. With this level of resourcing the police would be able to consult family members, neighbours, doctors and ex partners about an applicant’s suitability. And they would be able to set up a ‘hotline’ for professionals, family, colleagues and neighbours to register their concerns about a gun owner’s behaviour. Currently women have no right to be consulted about their partner having a gun and GCN has evidence that guns are frequently used as instruments of threat in the home. We need to address this issue and hope we can prevent the horrific murders that disfigure our society’.

Ends. Contacts: Email: gcn-uk@btconnect.com Tel: 0208343 4246
    Gill Marshall-Andrews (m): 07956 132297; Chrissie Hall (m) 07719 696279

So, No mention of lady shotgun users then?
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Although I obviously disagree with what the GCN stand for I do agree that there needs to be a tightening of certain aspects of the law. I don't think anyone should be granted a SGC or FAC with ANY history of violence or drink or drug abuse. I know a bloke who has a .22-250, I wouldn't trust him with a kitchen knife. He has previous for violence etc when he was young. All that has changed is he now doesn't get caught. The FEO went round to check his security at renewal time and the rifle was in the cabinet loaded. He still has the rifle.

As above, I also agree that there has been failings in the past as regards vetting of certificate holders suitability. This should be addressed by the authorities granting the certificates as a matter of urgency. On the other hand I don't fancy paying £250 for a renewal!

I like the line- ' Half of all gun deaths involve shotguns, PROBABLY legally held!!!'

They obviously haven't done much research to come up with a line like that. All people involved legally with firearms/shotguns know this wont be the case, however to joe public its PROBABLY not going to make them feel like people should hold guns legally.

When I recently moved house I had the FEO around to check my security
    He used this as a reason to do a full check on my guns and my personal status.He checked all my guns against my certificates .
    He asked me about my married life and he spoke to my wife.
    After he left he called my wife on the phone and asked her for her details .
    I know that this does not show that much but I guess he was just checking on our domestic situation with which I have no bother .
    This is Northumbria Police who I have been dealing with for almost 40 years.

Tel: 0208343 4246
    Gill Marshall-Andrews (m): 07956 132297; Chrissie Hall (m) 07719 696279
    How about we ALL ring them up to tell them what a crap idea we think it is?

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post

Gun owners pay only £50 for a licence which lasts for 5 years. So for £10 per year, around the price of 4 cups of coffee, a man can own as many shotguns as he likes. Gun ownership is a privilege that people should pay for – and there should be no element of subsidy from the taxpayer. Police estimate that the cost of issuing a licence is £200 which would mean that the current level of taxpayer subsidy is over £100m
    The admin cost could be dramatically reduced by issuing your FAC / Shotgun certificate for a longer period of time, similar to your driving licence. Once background checks etc have been done I see very little need for a 5 yearly renewal purely because, if you fall foul of the law at any point your certificate will be revoked anyway.

I think 5 years is fair enough.....peoples health can deteriorate in 5 yrs to the point where they probably shouldn't be using a gun anymore, especially elderly gun users.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    I think 5 years is fair enough.....peoples health can deteriorate in 5 yrs to the point where they probably shouldn't be using a gun anymore, especially elderly gun users.
    At this point, you may be in receipt of a reply from Hubert.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It isn't just the elderly whose health can deteriorate, it can happen to any of us!