Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Accepted method of carrying a rifle......

Accepted method of carrying a rifle......

This has probably been done to death already, but anyway.....

Reading through my DSC1 book, I get to page thirteen (carrying the rifle); there is a photo and description of three 'accepted' methods of carrying the rifle.

I do not have a sling on my 243, and although I have one on my rimmy, I rarely use it, preferring instead to carry my rifle in what might be termed the 'military patrol stance' - a method that soldiers and ex soldiers will be very familiar with.

As this method is not mentioned, or shown, does that mean it is NOT an accepted method of carrying, even though the muzzle is always pointed at the ground, and well away from the shooters feet?

I realise that some methods of rifle use/safety etc may be perfectly acceptable in a military scenario, and completely the opposite in a civillian setting.

If you are unaccompanied, not a problem, same as the continental fashion, muzzle forward & low, muzzle up seems a little awkward especially with a mod fitted, always adjusting your shoulder/sling.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

It would also mean that should you need to look at your deer through bin,s there might be a problem. Shooting off sticks might not be good. But if you were out with me on a Lev2 stalk i would not bother as long as you remained perfectly safe throughout the stalk.

The problem with carrying it without a sling is that steady observation with binos can be tricky plus if you also carry sticks this can add to the problems. I'm sure the military have very good reasons for the way in which they carry a rifle but I have found that there also seem to be very good reasons for why the stalker puts it over his shoulder on a sling.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by teabag_46 View Post
    This has probably been done to death already, but anyway.....

Reading through my DSC1 book, I get to page thirteen (carrying the rifle); there is a photo and description of three 'accepted' methods of carrying the rifle.

I do not have a sling on my 243, and although I have one on my rimmy, I rarely use it, preferring instead to carry my rifle in what might be termed the 'military patrol stance' - a method that soldiers and ex soldiers will be very familiar with.

As this method is not mentioned, or shown, does that mean it is NOT an accepted method of carrying, even though the muzzle is always pointed at the ground, and well away from the shooters feet?

I realise that some methods of rifle use/safety etc may be perfectly acceptable in a military scenario, and completely the opposite in a civillian setting.
    Tea bag,

Go with the accepted methods, if anyone carried military style on the DSC safety they would almost certainly fail.
    The military carry their weapons that way for a very good reason, Stalkers also carry their rifles in the accepted methods you talk about above for very good reasons.

Best regards.

Jon.

Best regards.

Jon.

For guided Roe deer stalking,. BASC accredited trainer for DSC1 and 2. BASC accredited training centre with courses held regularly.
    www.greenleedeer.co.uk

"Accepted" by whom?

As far as i am aware the issue is muzzle awareness not style of handbag.

​my .270 does not have a sling.

It stays in its slip until I am about to make the final approach on the hill.
    For this scenario a sling is utterly useless

I see no reason why you can not carry a rifle like you would carry a shotgun, over your forearm, butt in armpit.
    As for binocular use I the stick and binos on top keeping one hand free (or warm!)

I used to go lamping with a chap who always carried his rifle like this chap on the left of the photo:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2para_goose_green.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	27633
    I'm sure it was safe for him, but I was always worried about being shot in the legs!

The bino / use of sticks is the issue for me difficult if you have no hands free ! Unless of course you dont intend to use either .
    ​cheers Norma

I must say teabag, if you were out with me and carrying your rifle in that way I would want to stay behind you for safety reasons, as already said if you use a sling, and I would highly recommend that you do, you could glass your ground whilst still being able to carry your rifle without having to worry about putting it down, in mud, or being concerned about anything fouling up your barrel, imparing your scope etc, imagine if you were to stumble!!

Having completed my DSC1 I agree with Roestalker, yes it is about muzzle awareness B500, but it is also about the safety of ones self others, and livestock

Go with the Sling over the shoulder method, even if only for the course. Personnaly i have the muzzle up as I find in wet conditions a lot of trash come off your boots onto the mod and inside the moderator and I stalk in heavy low foliage through brambles and the likes unfortunately so muzzle down is just not easy to pull off. Military as i'm sure you know carry there weapons in patrol position to be ready to shoulder the rifle before something comes hurtling towards you.....Deer do not shoot back....unless you stalk around Liverpool.