Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would YOU shoot a deer with this?

Would YOU shoot a deer with this?

I was chatting to a mate i'm mentorting the other day who said he met a bloke at a gun club who was explaining how his big-bore airgun was just the thing for Roe and that he was using his on them in the New Forest. Call me a traditionalist but I would take some convincing to take one of these to a deer / pig which, apparently, they are certified for.

I was gaping like a fish when he put a pellet in my hand that the chap had given him.

Next to a 6.5x55 131 grain softpoint... personally I think when it comes to a welfare issue like a quick kill 'less is not more'. Be interested to know if these are more widely used than I expected or if some authorities will even ticket them for such quarry.

Can be used abroad ,ask mr Ian Harford but not here ! (deer)
    ​Regards Norma

Sorry unless they are reaching 1700 ft llbs and are bigger than .240 they cannot be legal on roe in England so he is bullshotting
    Geordie

that one looks a tad small, some are seriously punchy

Quote Originally Posted by geordieh View Post
    Sorry unless they are reaching 1700 ft llbs and are bigger than .240 they cannot be legal on roe in England so he is bullshotting
    Geordie
    +1 :good:

Seem to remember that air weapons are illegal for use on deer under the deer act.

edit.. Just checked and I was right, any air gun, air rifle or air pistol is prohibited for the taking of deer u der the deer act.

Therefore seems like he could land in some pretty hot water of everything is as has been stated above and he's found out.

find it impossible to believe as its expressly illegal that his air gun is certified for the taking of deer!
    Last edited by palmer_mike; 28-04-2013 at 16:24.

looks like a pellet from a .303 daystate wolverine which i think are only 100ft/lb muzzle velocity 950fps
    Last edited by the wiganer; 28-04-2013 at 16:13.

A few years back an airgun manufacturer brought out a 9mm version (think it was career) and even with the 85gr pellet it only reached 120ft/lbs so even that was way below the required in Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by the wiganer View Post
    looks like a pellet from a .303 daystate wolverine which i think are only 100ft/lb muzzle velocity 950fps
    Give that man a cigar! Thats what he said the chap uses - the subject cropped up because my mate had just got an .22 FAC version of the same.

They "air guns" are illegalfor deer.