Thread: What powder is used in Hornady 55gr SP Training?

What powder is used in Hornady 55gr SP Training?

Hi

Dose anyone know what powder Hornady use in there .223 55gr SP Training ammo?

The reason for asking is that they work well in my R8 Blaser .223 and I wanted to replicate the accuracy as a starting point for reloading the 53gr V-Max bullets.

The powder in question from the Hornady brass is gold in colour and is of the extruded type.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Reado

Quote Originally Posted by Reado View Post
    Hi

Dose anyone know what powder Hornady use in there .223 55gr SP Training ammo?

The reason for asking is that they work well in my R8 Blaser .223 and I wanted to replicate the accuracy as a starting point for reloading the 53gr V-Max bullets.

The powder in question from the Hornady brass is gold in colour and is of the extruded type.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Reado
    With very few exceptions, powders used in commercial ammunition is not available for home purchase. With commercial loads, the powder is engineered to give a specific performance at a specific bulk density in the case. Your best bet would be to try to replicate the velocity the factory rounds are getting using any number of good .223-suitable powders. I am currently using H322 with sterling results but pick one that suits you and dive in.~Muir

think it was tac powder ! by ramshot came close to speck i used to load It for my 42gr RTP - Reduced Tactical Penetrator none lead defence round we used it for practice house clear as did't do to much damage, also on the load dater it was the same as 55 jsp in my AR obtained from Henry Krank & Company Ltd, i don't think you will ever find the powder unless its on the net ! tac may become the new varget! or vit 140/150
    Last edited by paul o'; 28-04-2013 at 17:24.

I tried these, came in boxes of 50. Down wind Sako could hear varying reports from the moderator and didn't seem that accurate to me. Changed for Winchester.

These work in my 223 but I'm using Viht N120 with 53 grain Vmax

​Rick