Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling in Muntjac Bucks.

Calling in Muntjac Bucks.

Hello All.
    I was wondering if any have tried calling in muntjac bucks and with what degree of success have you had? What is the most effective way if it does actually work? My mate is after a particular buck but has not been able to intercept him yet. We know his territory and highways etc but are running out of time as my mate is moving away. He is a nice buck and is seen around often but has a nice ability to vanish when anyone is around with intent! I guess that's why he is a pretty good buck!!! If anyone can give some advice on calling him in, I think that might be the way forward. We do not have the time to sit out many more days. Thanks for any advice and experience shared.

Also, does a doe bark to call in a buck? Or does the buck bark to indicate his territory? I have read that they only bark to indicate danger... is this correct? Thanks for any advice... info on muntjacs is a little thin on the ground!
    Last edited by Rhinoshot; 28-04-2013 at 16:09.

Just call as if you were for a roe buck, pheep 3 sec gap repeated but try going for longer than you would for roe, 1-2 mins is what i find works for me. The bucks tend to sneak in, does will come in flat out barking if they are in he mood for calling.

Three to five quiet squeaks with the Buttalo then nothing for a few minutes (minutes not seconds) then same again. As Benc said the bucks are usually cagey and I have sometimes seen one move after I have been calling intermittently for twenty minutes or so. Don't be in a hurry and let everything settle down before starting to call.
    You may get several Muntjac of both sexes that you cannot see, but they are there under cover, so keep a sharp look out for the one you want and don't just shoot the first one that you become aware of.
    I have shot lots of Muntjac of both sexes, that have come to the call. However some days they are just not interested. What influences it I have no idea as all my theories get boshed sooner or later. Invariably if I try to show someone how to do it, then no result but sometimes you just can't go wrong. Best of luck.
    Oh and be ready on your sticks as sometimes they appear very quickly too. I have had a good buck get up from his couch under brambles, less that 30 yards from where I was standing. He appeared after the first squeak and was in the bag almost immediately. It's fascinating but frustrating too.

Both sexes will bark when not alarmed. Sometimes they will continue for half an hour or so. I once (and only once) managed to stalk, locate and shoot a barking buck. I don't bother now as I have failed so many times.
    Last edited by Uncle Norm; 28-04-2013 at 18:13. Reason: Barking info.

As Norm says above they will sneak in. If cover is quite heavy and i suspect you now have a fair bit of leaf to content with it is worth two of you standing back to back both with rifles. This way you don't have to worry about what's going on behind you and move your head at all.

​Thanks for that guys... you have been very helpful and given me all the info I need. I will let you know here how we get on. My mate is moving abroad and really wants to get himself a nice representative Munty before he goes. Sounds like a Roe call might just encourage him to show himself. If you know anything about their barking then please let me know. I have had a fella barking for about 10 min! behind my high-seat last week. Female/male I don't know. 20min later a nice buck came across the field from another wood directly toward Thats the one I shot last week ( see my pics) I really felt he was coming across because of the barking!! But I have read the last couple of days that they only bark to raise the alarm, so that would blow that theory. Thanks again for the info... fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    Three to five quiet squeaks with the Buttalo then nothing for a few minutes (minutes not seconds) then same again. As Benc said the bucks are usually cagey and I have sometimes seen one move after I have been calling intermittently for twenty minutes or so. Don't be in a hurry and let everything settle down before starting to call.
    You may get several Muntjac of both sexes that you cannot see, but they are there under cover, so keep a sharp look out for the one you want and don't just shoot the first one that you become aware of.
    I have shot lots of Muntjac of both sexes, that have come to the call. However some days they are just not interested. What influences it I have no idea as all my theories get boshed sooner or later. Invariably if I try to show someone how to do it, then no result but sometimes you just can't go wrong. Best of luck.
    Oh and be ready on your sticks as sometimes they appear very quickly too. I have had a good buck get up from his couch under brambles, less that 30 yards from where I was standing. He appeared after the first squeak and was in the bag almost immediately. It's fascinating but frustrating too.

Both sexes will bark when not alarmed. Sometimes they will continue for half an hour or so. I once (and only once) managed to stalk, locate and shoot a barking buck. I don't bother now as I have failed so many times.
    Just spotted your info on the barking... Missed it first read. Thanks a lot for that also. Tells me all I need to know. cheers

I would say that barking is definitely not only limited to alarm calling, I remember sitting in a highseat and being able to hear them barking all around. I estimated that I could hear 7 in every direction in different woods, I am sure they use the barks as comunication letting others know who is where.

If you know where it is , then just squeaking like you would for a fox should provoke a response ... A Roe call such as a Buttalo is also quite effective.... I hav even called them in using a Fox caller
    but they don't get that old and elusive by being stupid ... so go carefull and don't over call
    Spending time sat in a vantage spot over looking it's favourite spots should proove pretty effective also

Thanks for that Munty Hunter... Although I read officially! That it was only for alarm according to some recent research!!! I had a strong feeling that it is not the case. Cheers

and thanks Stone... I will give it a go..hoping to get after him this weekend.... Antlers shed May-june!!!!! So my mate is fast running out of time!!!

​ian
    Last edited by Rhinoshot; 02-05-2013 at 16:38.

Just to let you know all know, I made my first attempt last weekend at calling out a Munty with a roe call. I had already 3 on the ground from my high seat, when I decided to give the call a go. I went very easy with it, but within 10min I had a very large Munty appear onto the ride about 150yrds to my left crossing and quartering quickly toward me. I feel strongly that it was a reaction to the call. I had time but couldnt get a clear shot with overhanging bracnches etc. Didnt appear again. Probably continued its way toward me but did not come out onto the ride again. So, thank you all, I feel calling in muntjac will bring me some more success and my mate with the buck he is searching for. happy hunting...