Thread: Fly fishing in the boarders

Fly fishing in the boarders

Hope this is the best place for the thread? I am hoping to take my father in law up to Peebles around end of May/june time. The plan is to get a few stalks in on some roe am and evening and then in the day do a spot of fishing. He is the fisherman. I hope a few idea's on where to go etc may come in from you in the know. Looking to keep cost at a minimum and not expecting to set any new world records, just some good fun and the chance of a fish or 2 for supper. There is the Tweed running locally which may be an option? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    ​Thanks guys.

Trout fishing on the tweed can be had fairly cheaply, well compared to the salmon anyway..

The Tweed around St Boswells is a great stretch for trout. Permits can be had from the Gun shop.

Nutty

When you say fairly cheaply what sort of money are we talking per day? I assume a Scottish rod licence is required, and this is available from gun shop/post office. Along with a permit for a particular stretch? I'm not up to speed on all this so info very useful.

“One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Thanks for that. Loads of info and looks like I'll be able to afford to take the father in law. That should keep me in the good books.
    ​Anyone tried the peebles area?

Article in this months Trout & Salmon about trout accessibility on the Tweed, gives ticket details etc
    TonyC

Get yourself on the river Till. Ford and Etal estates have lovely water. Mind you its probably all sea trout. Brian Thompson is the river keeper, I can get his contact no if need be. Have caught quite a few sea trout spinning early in the season on the Till. The Tweed and tributaaries are controlled by the Tweed commisioners and as such you do not need a rod licence.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Get yourself on the river Till. Ford and Etal estates have lovely water. Mind you its probably all sea trout. Brian Thompson is the river keeper, I can get his contact no if need be. Have caught quite a few sea trout spinning early in the season on the Till. The Tweed and tributaaries are controlled by the Tweed commisioners and as such you do not need a rod licence.

D

Yip cracking Sea Trout river. Im never away june and july.

Nutty