Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: home loading setup cost.

home loading setup cost.

Hi all,

I'm thinking about home loading and I was wondering what the rough cost would be to get setup? I have 3 rifles a .22/250, .243 and a .270.

Jimmy

For a bit less than £40. You could buy lee loaders for all of those calibers. They make decent ammo. With out the need of a press and all the other trappings.

Lee loaders are great bits of kit that can be taken any where and used to make ammo on the fly.

Even if you go the whole hog and get a press set up. Having a lee loader for the rifle you are using is a good idea.

hi it cost me about 230 for the lot.i have got 22 hornet 223 243 and 308.just shop around

Mine was around the £300 mark for everything including the powder, bullets and primers, but looking back on it know I didn't actually need half the stuff and now a lot of it like trays and the MTM cases are sat collecting dust.

​The Lee auto loader was my best buy as I just purchased the additional turret so now when I swap between my 243 and the 300 there is no unscrewing of dies, the four lift out and the other ones just drop in.

Got a lee hand press here, lee neck die so no need to faff about lubricating cases, cheap scales, hand primer, primer pocket cleaner, case mouth chamferer, and a ball grip trimmer, its all lee except for the hand primer, probably spent under £200. Shoots tiny groups, one the other day was literally same hole, centre to centre they must have been 1/32"... Either that or I completely missed with the other shots LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy 84 View Post
    Hi all, I'm thinking about home loading and I was wondering what the rough cost would be to get setup? I have 3 rifles a .22/250, .243 and a .270. Jimmy
    Somewhere in the region of £40-1000

Depending on how much you want to spend and like precision and ease of repeatability.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Got a lee hand press here, lee neck die so no need to faff about lubricating cases, cheap scales, hand primer, primer pocket cleaner, case mouth chamferer, and a ball grip trimmer, its all lee except for the hand primer, probably spent under £200. Shoots tiny groups, one the other day was literally same hole, centre to centre they must have been 1/32"... Either that or I completely missed with the other shots LOL.

first questions:
    How much do you shoot (i.e. how many rounds)?
    Why are you looking to reload? single hole bench rest groups at 200yds or cost?

I started with three lee loaders, an assortment of case prep tools, two powders and bullets for .222, .243 and .270
    Outlay for hardware was £50

all of them produced better ammunition than factory

or you could drop £3-400 on kit and spend a lifetime chasing groups that up until this point you have not worried about

or you can pick them up piecemeal
    a cheap press can be picked up for £50-70+
    dies - £20-30 each (x3)
    case prep tools £20 tops
    set of scales - £10-60

Probably about the £250-£300 mark all in that's loading for .243 and 22-250. Powder and heads extra and also had to buy brass for the 22-250 but it's worth it in the long run for sure.

ATB

Bryan

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    first questions:
    How much do you shoot (i.e. how many rounds)?
    Why are you looking to reload? single hole bench rest groups at 200yds or cost?

I started with three lee loaders, an assortment of case prep tools, two powders and bullets for .222, .243 and .270
    Outlay for hardware was £50

all of them produced better ammunition than factory

or you could drop £3-400 on kit and spend a lifetime chasing groups that up until this point you have not worried about

or you can pick them up piecemeal
    a cheap press can be picked up for £50-70+
    dies - £20-30 each (x3)
    case prep tools £20 tops
    set of scales - £10-60

Like i've recently done

I started reloading due to the quantity of factory rounds I was shooting . . .I thought by reloading I may save myself some money . . .its not quite worked out that way !!!

The only thing I can think about now is trying to catch the fricking accuracy weasel and hunting for smaller and smaller groups . . .I have become super anal, where before an inch group was just dandy !!!

I have essentially set up a full reloading bench from scratch . . I have bought a mixture of second hand gear and some gucci new stuff . . .by the time you factor in powders {£45.00 a tub} bullets {£20 - £30 a box} and brass and primers theres another £100.00 quid spent.

In total i've spent around £350.00 for everything . . .excluding consumables.

It could however be done for much less . . .Interestingly the lad I bought some of my stuff from also gave me a tub of H322 with the price on the lid . . . .£24.00 quid !!!!!! Its now £45.00 !!!!

Unless your shooting lots of factory rounds i'm not sure it pays to reload . . .saying that the difference in quality and accuracy from factory rounds to home loaded has to be seen to be believed.
    Last edited by Cadex; 29-04-2013 at 14:54.