Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need scope to come back.

need scope to come back.

hi

i would like to move the scope on my rifle back a little. it has an eye releif of about 10 cm which is about standard as far as i can tell but i have to really push my head foward which brings my nose very near my thumb as it comes over the top of the stock.

the rifle is a parker hale 1100 lwt. nikon monarch 6 x 42 scope on weaver bases and rings. it seems that the body of the scope is quite short. have looked at other scopes and a schmitt and bender would fit perfectly as the entire scope is longer but my overdraft is already stretched further than my neck has to. so i gues its mounts and bases. i have looked at some extended mounts but just dont know which way to go

regards pete

Relax and use the scope as it is.

When it bumps back your little eyebrow won't stop it too well, so leave as is

hee hee. i hope by bringing it back a bit my head will be more up right with my forehead further away from the scope as if shooting prone it will recoil and hit the peak of my cap.

i really like the scope and you can get a really clear sight picture with it but where im comfy on the stock its just to far away

Step back rings are the answer. Several manufacturers offer them. I had to get some Leupold ones to get the S&B in the right plae on the P-H 1200C:-

As you can see.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Step back rings are the answer. Several manufacturers offer them. I had to get some Leupold ones to get the S&B in the right plae on the P-H 1200C:-

As you can see.
    Nice one Brit, this could well be a photo of my very own PH and it is a process that I am now going through. There can be nothing worse than having to strain forward to get a decent sight picture and it must lead to inaccurate shooting.
    John.

thanks brit. i wonder if i could trouble you for some measurements. as you can see from the photos i really have to realy strech my neck to get a decent sight picture.

if you could tell me the depth of the base and then the depth of the rings that would be much appreciated. i reckon the scope would need to come back about 60mm to be perfect but anything would be good. if i could also drop the scope down a little that would be even better.

Attachment 27746
    decent sight picture but at a stretch and if shooting prone scope hits my cap and thumb my nose when rifle recoils.

Attachment 27747
    much more comfortable
    Attachment 27748

have looked at leupold bases and rings but they dont give very clear measurements and i couldnt find step back ones
    regards pete

I couldnt mount my nikon monarch far enough back on my cz 601. I had the same problem with a leuopold. Since then I have mounted S+B 6x42 swaro 6x42 and 3-12x50 plus a meopta 3-12x56 all on the same rifle and mounts and there was no trouble with eye relief, could have mounted all of them even further back. I would try a couple of different scopes as looking at the photos that scope wants to be a good bit back from where it is. You also might want to raise the comb of the gun with a pad, that or get lower mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    thanks brit. i wonder if i could trouble you for some measurements. as you can see from the photos i really have to realy strech my neck to get a decent sight picture.

if you could tell me the depth of the base and then the depth of the rings that would be much appreciated. i reckon the scope would need to come back about 60mm to be perfect but anything would be good. if i could also drop the scope down a little that would be even better.

Attachment 27746
    decent sight picture but at a stretch and if shooting prone scope hits my cap and thumb my nose when rifle recoils.

Attachment 27747
    much more comfortable
    Attachment 27748

have looked at leupold bases and rings but they dont give very clear measurements and i couldnt find step back ones
    regards pete
    Is just the lower half of the butt in your shoulder "pocket"? You could try raising your right elbow US Marines style to open up the pocket a little, this will allow the stock to come a little further back, might feel wierd though. If you put your left hand in your right shoulder pocket while aiming an imaginary rifle and feel the tendons in there you will see that they move up and away as you raise your right elbow...

Contributing to your problems are:-

Those Weaver rings as they are so thick.

This is an 1100 Lwt fitted with an old Nikko Stirling Special 4x32 scope in P-H rings:-

Note the rings are slimmer, that gains you about 1/8", not a lot but every little bit helps in these situations.

That rifle no longer wears Parker-Hale mounts I believe. It has Apel roll off mounts fitted in 30mm holding a Tasco Titan variable scope.................As the rifle is not here I will see what I can do about some measurements.
    Last edited by Brithunter; 01-05-2013 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post

Attachment 27746

Attachment 27747
    much more comfortable
    Attachment 27748

regards pete
    Hard to tell from the photographs but the mount of the rifle looks to me far better in the first picture than in the second. In the first picture you have a decent cheek weld but not in the second. Is it possible that the stock is actually too long for you and wants shortening rather than moving the scope further back?

THe scope does appear to be mounted a bit high though.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.