Thread: Fallow grassed only to realise it had been shot previously..............

Fallow grassed only to realise it had been shot previously..............

I took a Fallow pricket in a couple of days ago and the chap said that after he had shot it he realised it had a wound very high up on the back,i told him that i would need to check it over properly before i made any decision and he went away happy.I skinned it the next day to find that it had been shot quite a while ago maybe even 3-4 months ago going by the amount of calcification although the external wound did seem to not of healed at the same rate as it looked a lot fresher.Here are a couple of pics of the damage caused most likely according to the stalker was caused by poachers driving round and shooting from the roads.........

The shot had slammed through the Bucks fins on his back and as you can see there was a lot of calcification,and he must of been in a fair bit of discomfort for quite a while although he was seen running with the other bucks and humping so he seemed to have got over the worst of it.

Never ceases to amaze me how tough deer can be.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

why blame poachers, from experience of turd poachers they do tend to make quick effective kills and extractions ( not always i may add).
    having read and seen the odd video and story from experienced qualified stalkers on here there is every chance a stalker did it.

must have hurt for some time, was there no lump or signs prior to shot.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Was it definitely shot? Just wondering if it could have been damage from fighting in the rut?

​willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Was it definitely shot? Just wondering if it could have been damage from fighting in the rut?

​willie_gunn
    Exactly what i was thinking Antlers can inflict horrible wounds.

Jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post

​willie_gunn
    Good call, Dom. Not up on the science side, but advanced calcification would take a while, and working back from the butchery, it could put the wound in at the end of the rut.

Like Limulus said, they can be tough as nails.

All the best.

Neil.

".......seen running with the other bucks and humping, so he seemed to have got over the worst of it."

isnt that the common cure to being dumped ? so, I guess he could have just been stabbed in the back by his ex!

Probably shot with a .243 that's not deer legal

Quote Originally Posted by psstalking View Post
    why blame poachers, from experience of turd poachers they do tend to make quick effective kills and extractions ( not always i may add).
    having read and seen the odd video and story from experienced qualified stalkers on here there is every chance a stalker did it.

must have hurt for some time, was there no lump or signs prior to shot.

There was a slight lump but he was not displaying any problems at all,and they do suffer with poachers where this was taken.

Quote Originally Posted by griffshrek View Post
    Probably shot with a .243 that's not deer legal