Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training collar

Training collar

Hi

Looking for some advice on dog training collars for my lab. He is a wild fowling dog hence it has to be waterproof. Suggestions please.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by 30-06 View Post
    Hi

Looking for some advice on dog training collars for my lab. He is a wild fowling dog hence it has to be waterproof. Suggestions please.

Thank you
    What problems do you have with your dog that lead you to believe you want a training collar ??

We use a SportDog 800, as we have a 2 year old lab who will not stop eating Fox / Cat $h*t, and yacking it up when he gets indoors..... but he is a cracking worker when on game, just walks we have issues with.....

All SportDog collars are wateproof, but there is probably some get out clause in the small print if you read it.

All the best.

Neil.

Hi Neil,

the main problem I have with him is that when ever he sees a dog he runs to them. Even if I am training him o retrieves. He is my first dog so my training has not been any where close to where it should be. Also to teach him some obedience. He s two years old.

Hi Neil,

the main problem I have with him is that when ever he sees a dog he runs to them. Even if I am training him o retrieves. He is my first dog so my training has not been any where close to where it should be. Also to teach him some obedience. He s two years old.
    Hi 30 06 , a collar may well cure him , but i suspect a lesson or two with a gun dog trainer would be money well spent , thats presuming you havent been down that road , i have a WHV and the training process has been training me ss much as the dog , good luck and all the best arron.

30-06, Forget the collar, believe me it's you who needs trained in how to train your dog and for that matter every dog you will own from now on. Either find a knowledgeable friend who is willing to show you how or better still invest in 1-2-1 lessons with a reputable gundog trainer.
    As said you will learn, not just the dog and it's is knowledge that you will have forever. Other than that there are many books, DVDs that will show you how to train your dog without going down the road of collars. Edward Martin brought out a terrific series of DVDs principally addressed at training labs. A wee bit daily effort and you will have a dog to be proud off and not one that will only do as it is asked as it does not wish another blast.

Hi Neil,

Hello 30 06.

Arron, and Gazza are right. Don`t give in to the collar as a shortcut on training / obedience work, it won`t help your cause in the long run. A couple of lessons with a trainer will be good value, and maybe balance things out a bit. You don`t need hours of training, as 10-15 mins of quality will be better than 60 mins of yelling at the dog.... There are a lot more experienced people on here than me, but the dog is still young enough to learn right, if you get on to him now.

Just so you know, we were advised by a trainer to get a collar, as a last resort, to stopping the poo eating habit. We almost have to let him get his nose in it, and then jolt him. We only did it twice, and he stopped, but out of the working season he cannot be trusted, and is too quick for us to get to to stop him without it.

Good luck.

Neil.

Arron, Gazza and Neil

thanks for your advise. I know that it is me who need the training more than the dog. I shall get some dvd's and work from there. I shall take him for a lesson too. He has been for quite a few already.

You definitely don't want a collar for the reasons you describe. You could end up with a dog that hates other dogs (by associating the shock with the other dog) and ends up a nightmare!

You need to get the dog more focused on you. You need to get him used to the lead and walking to heel proficiently first. stop whistle should be reliable too. Then, keeping him on a lead or check chord, take him to the park or wherever you can find lots of dogs and expose him to as many of them as possible. If he 'runs in' to see them, stop him immediately and make him sit and stay for a couple of minutes. He should get bored of the meditation and stop doing it eventually.

That's how I'd deal with it anyway, someone might have a better idea. Every new puppy I get, I take to every game fair that I can find just for this reason. My dogs rarely run to see other dogs.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

3006 - I have used a Dogtra collar in the past, very effective and it doesn't cause the dog any pain or what have you, you can adjust the level on the remote control and its just like giving the dog a poke when he's not listening to you because he's fixated on a rabbit or something else.
    I highly recommend it
    , very effective and you won't need to use it for long before your dog behaves exactly as you wish

hi 30-06,

i have a 1 year old cocker who is keen to meet other dogs which is fine the problem being he also likes to jump up at people (some people do get a tad grumpy and rightly so).
    ​i was advised that this is a spanial trait, the vets exact words- "you can always tell a spanial owner by the mud on there trousers".
    so i purchased a petsafe spray collar 100 and ive had it 3 months, seemed a good idea at the time but as yet ive still not used it, instead i went and got a acme whistle and now if i see him heading towards the handler i give him a few pips and back he comes he's still young and hopefully will grow out of the running in thing.